Carrara

Started by rcallicotte, August 11, 2008, 07:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

I like the light scattering in the vegetation, but the stones especially could have been done much better in TG2.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Yep, o_b, I agree.  The vegetation and trees look pretty good...sort of distracts from the stones.  But, a combination of TG2 and this could work some cool magic, as far as I can see from an advertisement.   :P

lightning

i make vegetation in carrara ;D and i am starting to set up studio scenes in carrara to render my plants becuase the renderer is just amazing

its a great piece of software!
this looks nice though
http://www.daz3d.com/i.x/shop/itemdetails/-/?item=7048&cat=236&_m=d

rcallicotte

Would you do me a favor and let me some of your renders, once finished?

Quote from: lightning on August 11, 2008, 04:21:36 PM
...and i am starting to set up studio scenes in carrara to render my plants becuase the renderer is just amazing

lightning

Quote from: calico on August 11, 2008, 04:52:57 PM
Would you do me a favor and let me some of your renders, once finished?

Quote from: lightning on August 11, 2008, 04:21:36 PM
...and i am starting to set up studio scenes in carrara to render my plants becuase the renderer is just amazing
what do you mean? do you want the scene files? or do you just want to see the renders?
anyway the gound cover update should be availble tommorow all being well i have got 3 more plants to convert and then i will render the new field/lawn grass and it should be ready for download!

rcallicotte

I can't wait for the updates (of course)...but, I meant I want to see your Carrara renders if you could post them somewhere and give a link.  I'm very curious about that app now.

lightning

yeah sure the updates finished anyhow will be upped in about 8 hours after school ::)

rcallicotte

Don't burn yourself out, dude.  I can wait and if anyone can't wait, it's hard to complain with all of the great freebies you donated to us...so they can wait, in my opinion.  Heck, the real reason I put my money on this is to support what you've done already.  I wasn't even worried about what this one package was like. 

We didn't have useful grass before you.

lightning

Quote from: calico on August 12, 2008, 04:55:41 PM
Don't burn yourself out, dude.  I can wait and if anyone can't wait, it's hard to complain with all of the great freebies you donated to us...so they can wait, in my opinion.  Heck, the real reason I put my money on this is to support what you've done already.  I wasn't even worried about what this one package was like. 

We didn't have useful grass before you.

thanks mate ;)
yeah i will show you some renders once finished i may just do a quick scene with some ground covers in just to show you how good it renders plants!(i think it renders plants a lot better than terragen 2)

have you downloaded the trial yet? you should its really easy to use ae!

the only downfall is the atmosphere engine it sucks!! if it had terragens atmo capabiliies it would be the #1 app! you can intergrate sky boxes and hdri images into carrara so you can still get great results out of the atmo you just need to use external software to do it

rcallicotte

I'm going to download the demo now.  What about terrain?  How do we fake terrain in it or can we import from TG2?

lightning

you can use heightfields

lightning

oh and you can sculpt your own terrain in the terrain editor

dandelO

Carrara is a fantastic program, the renderer is amazing as are the plant editor and the hundreds of objects and presets that come with the content CD but, Jack's right, the atmosphere engine is shite(***), like a slightly better Bryce effort.
I mostly solely work with TG2, Carrara 6 and Adobe CS2. All I need really. Carrara is an all-in-one 3D package that I couldn't do without now, it has everything and the UI is very intuitive, (not to mention the default 3d view control system is identical to TG2).

*** It isn't really shite, more, I'm shite with it! ;)
For modelling objects and making/rendering indoor scenes nothing comes close but, for realistic landscape scenes, you really need to put the work in to get the visual payback from Carrara, I find.

rcallicotte

When I have time, I'll try to throw something together in it.