Space potatoes

Started by Chinaski, September 24, 2008, 01:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinaski

Hi all,

Just an asteroids test, realized with 1.9.04.1 build of TG2. Three planets (procedural surfaces), two suns, a rocks population, and, that's all. The background stars is a postwork add (I must improve that). Panoramic is build with PanoTools / Hugin (800 x 600 renders by six). ;)

/!\ Carefull, big version: 1512 x 1250 px, 308 ko.
You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

JimB

Nice. I really like this.

So, we've seen planets used to make meta-clouds. Methinks they'd also make pretty nifty big boulders.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

rcallicotte

I like the smaller details on your asteroid...uh, I mean potatoes. 

What's next?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Phylloxera

C'est chouette, la mise en lumière est excellente !

Chinaski

Others space potatoes tests: 3 rocky moons...

And 2 multi-atmospheres shadows:

;)

Inscrutable

Those are absolutely stunning.  Absolutely. Stunning.

I especially like the last three.  I don't suppose you'd be willing to share your techniques (or maybe the .tgds themselves?), but those are really inspiring.

Inscrutable

rcallicotte

Cool work.  I second Inscrutable.  These would make excellent moons for a planet.

Chinaski

Thanks guys. ;)

Techniques are very simple, nothing extraordinary:

For "AsteroMoon0004" (tgd), I used One crater shader (big crater) and eight power fractal shaders (perlin billows, one octave) for little craters (fractal billows -> color adjust shader -> add/mix color -> displace shader). The scene is render by two pass (with atmo / without atmo) and mix during postwork (on my old computer, it's faster than directly tweaking the atmo on TG2, but you can do it on TG2). After that, strong sharpen and autolevel.

For "multi-atmo test (cone d'ombre)" (tgd) I used a stack of two atmos on a small planet (différent heights, colors, and tweaks). Sorry, I can't explain postwork, my english is too bad.

Same thing for the last one, "Multi-atmo test 0002" (tgd), with a stack of three atmos (and others tweaks). Almost no postwok here... Just color balance adjust, and add stars.

That's all. ;)

MacGyver

Amazing!!! If I saw it right, you used an older version of TG2 for rendering... would be interesting to see if it looks the same with the new version since I experienced some differences in look with my older TGDs.

I hope you'll do an artwork with some of these combined in the future, the last one's look so fotorealistic (not that I've seen such space-potatoes before ;))!
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

rcallicotte

Thanks for letting us in your creative magic.  And thanks for sharing your work!

Chinaski

You're welcome, and thanks for the comments. :)
Here is my last render, without & with postwork:

nb: @ MacGyver: You saw it right, I'm playing with an old version of TG2. ;)

RogueNZ

Hey, for some reason i can't see these images, any chance of getting them posted to somewhere like Deviantart or photobucket? Cheers

JimAward

Your moons are spectacular  :D
So bright, so clear, you could land on them...
a boy's dream
Thanks for sharing.

JA

Chinaski

A new (big) render (eight 800 x 600 parts, to 2071px x 1256px, 600 ko, panoramic). 4 atmospheres (black, red, yellow/green, blue) with differents settings on the giant planet, juste one on the small planet.

Postwork (after panoramic's build) is very light: Add stars on background, light sharpen on asteroids, and levels adjustement.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.