Beta teasers

Started by Mohawk20, November 09, 2008, 11:11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Looking for bugs in the beta I got a lot of nice results which I don't want to hold from you.
Below are a few renders of what's possible with the painted shader, and the last one is a (finally working) rock object with 50 sides and a water shader (IOR 2.4 - Diamond).
Howgh!

reck

Hey thanks for sharing these images with us Mohawk. Looks like the painter shader might be lots of fun.

Have you experimented much with the new aa modes? It would be interesting to see the same scene rendered which each of the different modes to see how they compare.

I wonder how long before the rest of us to get the beta. It's coming up for 3 weeks now since Matt posted the details about the new beta, maybe it's taking a while because you alpha guys have found some bugs that need squishing first.

Mohawk20

I'll look at that...

The only bugs I found are probably just the way I connected the nodes (that is: the wrong way  ;)), but we want to make sure the public version is the most stable version there's ever been.
Howgh!

PG

The painter shader can also be used on the atmosphere although it isn't specifically designed with that in mind so there may be the inevitable bug or two. You just have to crank the size of the brush past the end of the slider. I used 45,000 here.
Here I've done two cloud layers, both cumulus one I've just randomly scribbled in and the other is a high concentration blob where I've just cranked everything up but made the density lower so it's not quite as sharp. I'm gonna test it on cirrus clouds in a minute. Should be quite easy to replicate that massive cumulus the Luc did years ago that no ones figured out how to do ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Did you paint on the ground?
Is it 3D or plan y?
Howgh!

PG

Everything was default except the size ;) so plan Y but it works just as well with other methods. You can actually paint anywhere you like, TG2 will just paint it wherever, it doesn't care about the height :D that's set in the clouds properties.
I've been doing population tests as well and so far haven't come across a single counter error, including on previous scenes that were plagued by them.

Edit: here's the Cirrus one, I cranked the density up for demonstrative purposes
Edit x2: and another one showing the accuracy of the painted shader, this is 10 feet off the ground. I had to increase the FOV to nearly 90 ;D

dandelO

Nice effects. My waterfall image is nearly entirely based on the painted shader, from the terrain, water and even the cloud layer of mist.

One of the nicest things in the alpha, I think, is the 'AA bloom' button, it makes the reflection highlights on really shiny surfaces like water and metal look bloody fantastic. Instead of sharp jaggy highlights it makes them dreamy-soft whilst  keeping everything else sharp as a knife, more like a camera would react in the real world. Absolutely great.
I've been playing with the hanging valley thing too, I miss entering contests, need to get back into gear and create something for myself instead of for all you buggers! ;) Public Library - Vol.3, by the way, is going to be based mainly on the new features in the beta.

EDIT: That diamond is lovely!

Mohawk20

Thanks, I liked the diamond too, working on more of those...

Oh, and I just got mail which implies everyone can now play with the new Beta!
Howgh!

PG

It is indeed, but only for prepurchasers.

Cyber-Angel

This is my first image with the beta it uses two painted shaders.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

Zairyn Arsyn

wwooaahh..... I just downloaded it

hmmm... I'm wondering if I should abort my current render or let it finish
cant make up my mind 
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Cyber-Angel

PG,

Could you tell me how you use the painted shader on clouds I have tried but couldn't get it to work, where did you hook yours up?

Regard to you

Cyber-Angel   

PG

Well I just hooked it into the blend of the power fractal. Make sure you use absolute instead of view-relative. The size that you use depends on the type of cloud you want to mould. For quite a large formation stretching over a wide plane then the easiest thing to do is zoom right out of the planet. Switch to camera or shader tab so the atmosphere isn't rendered, this makes it easier to see what you're doing. If you're doing one that's quite close to the ground like the third one I posted then you'll want quite a small brush with a lower falloff.
For more control you can also combine multiple painter shaders with the merge shader and put that into the blending input. I didn't test this extensively but it seems to work.

Also regarding the size of the brush. If you're doing a cloud formation that is at planetary level, e.g. a very large hurricane then you'll need to zoom out until you start seeing the curvature of the planet and the brush at around 250,000 to get the basic shape. Here's a TGD of a similar one to that first image. Two cloud layers with their own painter shader.

Esgalachoir

Dude, TII is getting so out of hand, that is awesome.

Cyber-Angel

Thanks PG I'll give that file a look when I get the chance.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel