linux render cluster in an IKEA cabinet

Started by inkydigit, November 20, 2008, 11:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/01/linux-preloads-rocket-per-cent

It's like the Titanic - Mac/Windows. Supposedly unsinkable. Linux is vastly superior now and any software that doesn't run on it is in a bad position.

http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista

I've been checking out Blender regularly. It gets volumetrics soon. This is just one of many features coming:

http://farsthary.wordpress.com/

The space navigator works in Blender:

http://www.3dconnexion.com/solutions/blender.php

You can get numerous builds that will fly on your system:

http://www.graphicall.org/builds/index.php

This is while Autodesk buys XSI. They already have Maya, 3D Max, Mudbox and others. Eliminate the competition, slow down development, charge rip off prices. Help destroy the proprietary software model.

Roll on Blender.

lightning

man that guy has alot of money and no life ::)

efflux

From what he says he is using it for work.

He used DrQueue. You can use this with Blender and build a giant render farm at affordable costs which would just be impossible with other software and operating systems.

Dark Fire

Impossible with other software? Giant render farms? Sounds like a challenge. :P

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

efflux

I've been messing with Blender for years and I'm glad I did because I know how to use and I will be using it.

This is the software I'm going to use:

Blender
3D Coat
TG2
Mojoworld
Gimp
Inkscape
Artrage
Lightzone

Then maybe another renderer. It depends what happens with Blender's internal renderer.

The one app not on this list (yet) was the one that cost me the most (Modo) which is a pathetic state of affairs.

Blender running on a 64 bit 8 core Ubuntu machine. That's the future and it will be cool. I might use Modo if they sort out animation which is what they should have been doing instead of the other jack of all trades master of none stuff they've put in there.

Look at that list then check out the equivalent apps that "pros" use and on Mac/Winblows then work out the cost difference. Best to spend that on hardware because those free and sensibly priced apps are in actual fact superior in many respects.

efflux

Cinepaint is another useful app since it handles higher bit images than Gimp.

latego

Blender has the most inscrutable and unusable user interface I have ever seen since I began using computers in 1983.

No problem, if Blender is the future then I'll have to find myself a different hobby...

Bye :(

efflux

Nobody explains why the Blender UI is supposed to be so bad. There are some issues with the standard boxes that are designed to be able to be arranged horizontal. This means they can't be very tall and arranged nicely in a more convenient vertical fashion. The next Blender may chance that scenario. Otherwise the Blender UI is one of the best. Learn how to use it. It is the fastest app to use once you do this. It started as an in house app that was very keyboard command centric. This actually makes it very good. A key command for everything.

cyphyr

I guess its just the learning curve of such a different UI, people used to (and still do;)) say the same about Terragen.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

efflux

TG2 certainly isn't easy but that's the nature of the app.

Blender doesn't conform to bad ideas but this is good.

Learn key commands. Apps that have key commands for everything are the best. For example Blender didn't used to have a universal manipulator.

S - size
G - grab to move
R - rotate

X,Y and Z after those constrain to axis. Then Ctrl snaps movement Ctrl+Shift snaps smaller.

Ctrl+ up arrow maximizes the window the mouse is hovering over. Hovering over a window join gives you options on changing the window arrangement.

Window headers can be removed or changed in position - right click on the header.

Windows sets can be made stored and easily accessed. There is a key command for absolutely everything.

It's easy. Learn it properly! Many apps are UI disasters with buttons everywhere and no key commands or pop up options.

efflux

M - another important one gives you an option of which layer to move the selected object to. I could go on and on. This is FAST. Other apps are nightmares.

latego

Quote from: efflux on November 21, 2008, 07:47:30 PM
Nobody explains why the Blender UI is supposed to be so bad. There are some issues with the standard boxes that are designed to be able to be arranged horizontal. This means they can't be very tall and arranged nicely in a more convenient vertical fashion. The next Blender may chance that scenario. Otherwise the Blender UI is one of the best. Learn how to use it. It is the fastest app to use once you do this. It started as an in house app that was very keyboard command centric. This actually makes it very good. A key command for everything.

Recently I had a haha!!! moment in which I realized why Blender UI sucks so egregiously.

For example, when you use a text editor, you mainly use the keyboard and from time to time the mouse; when instead you use a painting program, you move/click the mouse (or a tablet if you are pro) and from time to time type. These are just two examples; if you examine ANY of the programs you use you will see that in NO case you are requiered to continuosly use BOTH the mouse AND the keyboard; Blender forces you to do so.

For Blender to become usable for non-penguinistas it would be required that its developer settled once for all whether it is a keyboard OR mouse/tablet centric app and then fix the UI accordingly (something that I read on Blender forums developers are coldly determined NOT to do).

Bye...

P.S.: if you watch videos of pros working, you will see that they have high-end tablets and the "typing" emulation is reduced to minimum (I think that they do not go beyond giving names for files and elements of the scene)... are they all idiots?