Xfrog talks with Floraworks. Store now offline

Started by reck, November 27, 2008, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Due to floraworks having negotiations with Xfrog we are no longer, currently, able to purchase from them.

My questions to Floraworks. Does this mean that the black Friday offer is no longer going to happen? When will you be back online so we can buy some plants? Also what are these negotiations with Xfrog about? Floraworks must be REALLY worrying xfrog. The floraworks plants look just as good as the xfrog plants but they are sold at a fraction of the cost. How can xfrog possibly compete?

Thanks

PG

Yaay. God bless the little underdog ;D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

lonewolf

Looks like Floraworks may have hit a nreve with their generous offerings. Good work guys.

Iain

old_blaggard

Thanks for the interest :). The negotiations are ongoing, and I can't talk about them in detail right now. This means that, yes, the Black Friday sale will be cancelled. However, we'll hopefully have some more news for you soon, and if it's possible, we'll definitely hold a similar sale later on in the holiday season.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

reck

In the past I always used to look a the xfrog plants with envious eyes. They were really nice high detailed objects but they cost an absolute fortune. It's fine if you wanted to buy them for use in say vue to use in a pirates of the Caribbean film but for the humble hobbyist the prices were normally just to high to justify. So I used to survive on the free models I could scrounge from the internet, sometimes you could find a gem, like models from Klass, but generally these were of a lower quality than you get could from xfrog.

Then a chappie called lightning turned up and all that changed. Teaming up with o_b they went on to form Floraworks which provides high quality models at affordable prices, not just for professional use but at prices the average "Joe the plumber" could afford.

I hope these negotiations turn out to be a positive thing for Floraworks and their customers in the end, we will have to wait and see.

Good luck Jack and o_b and hope to see you back online and back in business soon. With Christmas fast approaching I'm hoping to have a bit of time over the holidays to get some rendering done and I'd like to buy some trees from you guys.

sjefen

Yeah. Good luck to Floraworks.
I really want to know what this is all about when possible.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

buzzzzz1

Damn, this sucks that the site is closed for purchases. I don't understand why, if there are just negotiations going on between Floraworks and XFrog we can't buy plants? Also wondering if we are we allowed to use the plants we already purchased in our scenes? Hope this works out well for all involved.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

PsyOp

Sounds to me as if Floraworks must have violated XFrog copyrights - why else would it be shut down? Probably used XFrog to create some of the models, in violation of XFrog's license agreement.

mhaze

Xfrog have done this before. But I hope it works out for floraworks and they can be online again soon

Mick

rcallicotte

Not to dissuade caustic pessimism  ::) , but Lightning uses about three or four packages to create trees and has been very careful about copyright issues. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

old_blaggard

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on November 28, 2008, 09:32:54 AM
Damn, this sucks that the site is closed for purchases. I don't understand why, if there are just negotiations going on between Floraworks and XFrog we can't buy plants? Also wondering if we are we allowed to use the plants we already purchased in our scenes? Hope this works out well for all involved.
You can, of course, continue using all plants that you have already purchased.

Again, sorry to have to hold some stuff back for now, but I'll let you guys know as soon as possible.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

buzzzzz1

Quote from: old_blaggard on November 28, 2008, 12:39:29 PM
Quote from: buzzzzz1 on November 28, 2008, 09:32:54 AM
You can, of course, continue using all plants that you have already purchased.

Again, sorry to have to hold some stuff back for now, but I'll let you guys know as soon as possible.

Good news, thanks!
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

rcallicotte

Thanks for this news, O_B.  Hope it goes well for you and lightning.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

buzzzzz1

Lightning has been awfully quite since this was posted, did He fall off the face of the earth or something?
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
XP Pro 64 bit OS

lightning

hello guys thanks for all your support sorry i have been so quiet lately i have been really busy ::)

Well for starters i have been offered a job as a modeler at greenworks i am still undecided whether i should take it or not. they really want me to modify existing plants to bring them up to scratch with the quality of my own models.
floraworks has been a real strain for me over the last few months and even before that. me personal life has suffered alot because i spend so much time on the computer i have fallen out with friends and even family and my school marks have plummeted.
and i do not really fancy spending my entire 8 weeks of my summer sat in front of a computer. so for now floraworks will be down until i can sort out some things with greenworks etc.

stay tuned
jack :)