Xfrog talks with Floraworks. Store now offline

Started by reck, November 27, 2008, 06:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reck

Yeah I don't quite understand why you can't sell the items you've already created. Surely the job offer and lack of time have nothing to do with selling your existing items. Unless there is some other reason you've had to take the store offline?

RogueNZ

Congrats dude, i say take a good holiday, the weathers been great so far this summer!

SilverCity

I am also curious as to the issue of Xfrog tree output for sale. According to this response from Greenworks, this is acceptable as long as you don't sell pre-made models, textures, etc.:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5461055&postcount=19

Maybe Greenworks changed their mind since they made this post?

reck

Quote from: SilverCity on December 07, 2008, 07:19:47 PM
I am also curious as to the issue of Xfrog tree output for sale. According to this response from Greenworks, this is acceptable as long as you don't sell pre-made models, textures, etc.:

Hi SilverCity.

Yes it's curious why floraworks have stopped selling their products. For some reason both guys have declined to comment on why they won't\can't put the store back online. There must be some other reason why this is the case and until they decide to enlighten us we will just have to continue to wonder when the store will come back online, if even if it will.

So lightning or o_b, any more info on this?

latego

Quote from: SilverCity on December 07, 2008, 07:19:47 PM

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5461055&postcount=19

Maybe Greenworks changed their mind since they made this post?

I am sure that he received a "stop it or you'll spend the next years in court" offer-he-could-not-refuse from Greenworks.

Remember that even when a behaviour is well within the limits of the law, when you are attacked by the legal department of a significant firm you will be simply sued you into poverty or defeat.

Bye  >:(

reck

Quote from: latego on December 10, 2008, 06:09:35 AM

I am sure that he received a "stop it or you'll spend the next years in court" offer-he-could-not-refuse from Greenworks.

Remember that even when a behaviour is well within the limits of the law, when you are attacked by the legal department of a significant firm you will be simply sued you into poverty or defeat.

Bye  >:(

Well if that's the case why don't they just come out and tell us and be done with it, why all the secrecy?

Without an official statement we don't know if the store is going to re-open, or if your theory is correct, be shut down forever. So we are left in this limbo of not knowing. Both guys are active on this forum and have obviously seen this thread so they are choosing to not answer for some reason.

SilverCity

Quote from: reck on December 09, 2008, 03:44:51 PM
Yes it's curious why floraworks have stopped selling their products. For some reason both guys have declined to comment on why they won't\can't put the store back online. There must be some other reason why this is the case and until they decide to enlighten us we will just have to continue to wonder when the store will come back online, if even if it will.

So lightning or o_b, any more info on this?
The lack of an explanation, however, does a disservice to lightning. It gives the impression that he did something wrong (maybe he didn't have a legal copy of Xfrog, maybe he sold "tweaked" pre-made Xfrog models, etc.). I take him at his word that everything he did was legal and I wanted to purchase some of his trees, so I hope at some point he can get his store back online.

I think that for others who may want to sell their own Xfrog creations, it would be nice to get some clarity on exactly what the EULA allows for in these situations. I'm not sure I'd want to pay for software that prevents the sale of whatever you create with it.

PG

.....The thing of him using existing xfrog models was only a rumour at the beginning of this topic. Why is it now being taken as fact? He's already made a post in this topic that Greenworks have offered him a job and he is taking his time to consider an important decision.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PG on December 10, 2008, 07:24:39 AM
.....The thing of him using existing xfrog models was only a rumour at the beginning of this topic. Why is it now being taken as fact? He's already made a post in this topic that Greenworks have offered him a job and he is taking his time to consider an important decision.

Exactly my thoughts.

rcallicotte

waiting...
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

SilverCity

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression here. Because lightning stopped selling his models, I wondered if Greenworks had changed it's policy on the sale of Xfrog trees that one makes entirely on their own. I may wish to sell or buy Xfrog models in the future, and I was confused as to what the EULA allowed for. I have considered buying Xfrog and I wanted to know what their stance on this was. Given what was posted on the CGTalk forum, I thought lightning was cleared to sell his tree models, and I just found it odd that he shut his store down.

In any case, good luck to lightning. I still wish I could buy some of his great tree models:-)

reck

Quote from: SilverCity on December 10, 2008, 08:24:37 AM

In any case, good luck to lightning. I still wish I could buy some of his great tree models:-)

Yep same here. Guess there are a few Floraworks fans here, that's why we want to know when we can give you our hard earned money  :D

old_blaggard

Just wanting to drop in a word here. I'm sorry that it's taken so long for us to get back to you, but we're in fairly complicated talks right now. It's unclear exactly where things will be going, and I don't want to say anything specific until we have a clearer picture because I don't want anybody making any false assumptions or jumping to any conclusions. Again, thanks for your support. Floraworks hasn't forgotten you, and you'll all be the first to know once everything is completely worked out.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

reck

Thanks for the update o_b, I hope the talks go well.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for new information as and when it becomes available.

BlueRose

Generally when this kind of thing happens, the participants are made to sign an NDA - non disclosure agreement - until the final decision is made and signed off.

So I would assume until they have finished discussing whatever they are discussing, no one is saying anything, because they are legally bound not to.

Which isnt going to stop anyone speculating, but no point hassling them about it.  As has been said, they will tell us when they can.

You will just have to be patient I think :)