Rendering Speed

Started by Yellowbull, February 01, 2007, 05:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowbull

Just wondering if the speed of the rendering engine will be getting some work... Its painfully slow, even when rendering only skies.

D

Will

Hopefully, nothing is optimised yet but we art sure how much of a help those optimisations will be.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

old_blaggard

Well, multithreading will definitly occur, and other optimisations should speed rendering a little.  Oshyan once told me that with the final release, Planetside estimates that a person with a dual core machine should expect to see their render times cut to 40% of what they are now, and a single-core machine's time will be cut to about 80%-90%.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Yellowbull

Basically it took me all day to render one skycube made up of 6 images..... Thats pretty slow for production work.

old_blaggard

Well, TG2 isn't meant for production work yet, as it's still just a Tech Preview.  If you have a computer with multiple cores, you can run more than one instance of TG2 to get separate images done faster.  Finally, 24 hours for a six-image skycube isn't really that bad... I just finished a render on my computer that took over 30 hours at 1000*750.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

buzzzzz

Quote from: Yellowbull on February 01, 2007, 08:17:17 PM
Basically it took me all day to render one skycube made up of 6 images..... Thats pretty slow for production work.

Not sure what you are using for Quality settings but I found when using render settings: detail of 1,  AA of 4 or 5 and un-check GI Details with set both to 0.    I get pretty good results and faster render times.

Oshyan

Significant optimization will definitely be done before the final release. Multithreading is certainly one of the most dramatic optimizations that will occur, but other areas will also be sped up. We are aiming for a renderer that can be comfortably used in production.

- Oshyan

Yellowbull

It's good to hear about the optimizations comming, it sorely is needed for production work, no offense here...... Just to compare, I've used Dreamscape for years for all of our skies, I've created hundreds using it. I've used it for 4 consecutive games, rendering very high resolution skies all day long.... I've gotten some amazing results in a fraction of the time in TG.

D

Yellowbull

Also, whats the best way to speed up the preview window?

D

old_blaggard

So far as I know, there's no direct way to speed up the preview rendering.  I suppose you could disable time-consuming nodes like reflective shaders and really dense volumetric clouds when you're focusing on one particular aspect of the image.

Emerald_Ice

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 01, 2007, 08:10:03 PM
Well, multithreading will definitly occur, and other optimisations should speed rendering a little.  Oshyan once told me that with the final release, Planetside estimates that a person with a dual core machine should expect to see their render times cut to 40% of what they are now, and a single-core machine's time will be cut to about 80%-90%.

Wait, shouldn't dual core machines have better results? That seems as if would be the case, not the other way around.

3DGuy

That's what he said. 40% of the rendertime you see now. So if it takes 10 minutes now, in the future it'll be around 4 minutes. On single core machines the time will go down from 10 mins to 8 mins.

Cyber-Angel

When we're talking optimisation is that simply code refinement or is it the implementation of a scheme such as Octrees?  ;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

old_blaggard

Probably a little of both ;).

king_tiger_666

i just need a better cpu... 2.8ghz p4 doesn't cut it...!!!

<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>