I did it...

Started by FrankB, November 30, 2008, 09:39:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

None of the platforms support 1600 DDR3 without overclocking anyway, as I understand it.

Lian Li cases are nice, but overpriced IMO. A nice Antex Sonata III will do well, for example, and generally much less expensive. But personally this is the case I really want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119147

- Oshyan

FrankB

Quote from: Oshyan on December 14, 2008, 06:59:49 PM
None of the platforms support 1600 DDR3 without overclocking anyway, as I understand it.

Really? Well, not that I would know, but it surprises me.

QuoteLian Li cases are nice, but overpriced IMO. A nice Antex Sonata III will do well, for example, and generally much less expensive. But personally this is the case I really want: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119147

- Oshyan

Yes the Lian Li was expensive, compared with the benefits of having one, but I couldn't resist :-)

Your choice looks good, too, but the pricing doesn't look so much cheaper than the Lian Li.
Doesn't matter much, though. The most important thing is the CPU, with regards to TG2, and the Core i7 is a runner. I am very happy with it and can definitely recommend it.

Best regards,
Frank

Oshyan

Yes, the case I pointed out is also expensive. I just meant, if I'm going to spend that much on a case, it would be that one, not Lian Li. Just personal taste. ;) But normally I go for much cheaper Antec with a decent built-in PSU (400+ watt with Sonata III). For average builds it works great.

Anyway yes Core i7 is perfect for TG2. It's amazing to see how much more prolific you have been since you got this new system. It's great! :)

- Oshyan

freelancah

That certainly looks like a sweet setup tho I'm not sure how much better those i7 perform against normal quad cores in TG2. I have a C2D Q9400 2,66ghz @ 3,4ghz and my bench score was pretty close to yours. Of course you have to consider this is overclocked so it doesn't really compare because you are running yours with defaults

Setup:
C2D Q9400 @ 3.4ghz
8800 GT
4096 DDR2 RAM
1TB harddrive
Asus P5K-e-wifi mobo

Oshyan

I think you said it right there, if your bench is the same as his and he's running at nearly 800Mhz behind you (*per core*), Core i7 shows its worth. ;)

- Oshyan

freelancah

Yeah I guess. I did a re-test with default clocks and the rendering time increased exactly 10 seconds

Oshyan

Quite honestly I don't think that old benchmark is terribly representative these days. I hope to work on a new one soon...

- Oshyan

FrankB

a new benchmark would be a good idea. Cinema resolution, higher detail, multiple cloud layers, a bit of water, a few displacements and fake stones... just the average render project would be about right, I guess.

Cheers,
Frank

PG

It needs to be something that can render in about 5 minutes for a computer like yours or mine and not really more than an hour for the baseline machine.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

FrankB

PG

I made this. It's nothing flash but I can render it in about 8 minutes. How about yours? It doesn't have any vegetation because my only source of plants was floraworks.

FrankB

5:38 min.

But I think you shouls set GI to 2/2, AA to 3. What's your rendertime with these settings?

Thanks,
Frank

PG

Yeah I tried that. It took 22 minutes.

freelancah

On what resolution did you render? I'm not sure what you mean when you refer to cinema resolution? Lemme know and I'l try to do a render so we can get some comparison

FrankB

I have just rendered using the "full render" with the parameters as they came from PG's file.
I have set the min threads to 8, thought, because I can render with 8 threads.

Frank