Terragen 2 antialiasing needs sampling filters

Started by Insquall, October 03, 2008, 10:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: Mohawk20 on October 18, 2008, 07:36:58 AM
This is THE best news I heard all week, finally a bloom option, so no more PhotoShop needed!
This raises one question though: Will this also work outside the atmo, in orbit shots? And will the bloom expand if the luminosity value is increased?

You may still want to apply more effective bloom or glow effects in Photoshop. The anti-aliasing bloom is basically just the "first line of defence" against aliasing of very bright pixels, in case no other post processing is done. In a future version we would like to add more controllable post-processing filters, but we don't want to do that until we have a system for editing them interactively on finished renders.

It only has a maximum radius of 5 pixels, and it only add just enough bloom to avoid obvious stair-stepping (jaggies) when pixels are too bright to be anti-aliased using normal techniques. The bloom does expand depending on the brightness of the pixels, but only up to 5 pixels for the very brightest objects such as the sun. It works on any pixels, whether inside or outside an atmosphere.

Matt

(Or should that be "last line of defence"? Maybe I should quit with the analogies...)
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

PorcupineFloyd

How about doing a wiki article with description of each filter and with basic example pictures just after the next version release?

I can do some test renders.

Oshyan

We hope to provide a public Wiki for the community to assist in documenting things like this. We will still be providing a complete node reference, but it may not be able to be so detailed as to include complete description and visual examples of all noise types or sample filters, for example.

- Oshyan

cyclotron

Just wondering as I am completely new to the Terragen and the forum , are depth of field rendering controls likely soon or available already?

rcallicotte

Already in place - check your Rendering tab.

Quote from: cyclotron on January 11, 2009, 08:06:10 PM
Just wondering as I am completely new to the Terragen and the forum , are depth of field rendering controls likely soon or available already?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

jo

Hi calico,

We have the antialiasing filters but not the depth of field, which is what the poster was asking about. I'm not sure when we'll have this built in. In lots of ways it's best done as a post effect, which is already possible I believe ( i.e. someone else will have to say how it's actually done :-).

Regards,

Jo

PorcupineFloyd

It is possible to fake DOF by making two pictures rendered with different filters with one of them being Cubic B-Spline, and then merging those two images in Photoshop with masking.

It would be better however if Terragen could make a depth map suitable for a Photoshop filter designed for making DOF.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: PorcupineFloyd on January 12, 2009, 02:21:05 AM
It is possible to fake DOF by making two pictures rendered with different filters with one of them being Cubic B-Spline, and then merging those two images in Photoshop with masking.

It would be better however if Terragen could make a depth map suitable for a Photoshop filter designed for making DOF.

Here's how I do it:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4231.msg46313#msg46313

If you're guys have troubles setting this up, then just let me know.

Martin