TraceRay errors

Started by Astaroth, January 11, 2009, 08:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astaroth

Hello everybody!
I have a little problem with my actual render. I'm getting some TraceRay errors and don't know where they come from.

When I rendered the scene at a lower resolution everything wen't fine.
I think it must have to do something with the water. As you see in the picture attached the render stops at the point where the water begins.

I'm working on 32-Bit Windows XP Home.
Quad Core 2.5GHz, 4GB Ram.

Does anyone has an idea where this come from and how I can fix this? Thank you very much!
The .tgd file also attached.

Regards A.

rcallicotte

I'm doing a render or I would look at the TGD, but you're probably right about the water.  My guess is you've altered it somehow and this might be somewhere in the reflectivity of the water properties.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Can you tell us what the exact error messages are?
It could be about render buckets and threads, an error that I had a while ago...
Howgh!

Astaroth

The error message is in the attached picture, thank you very much for your help!

As you see the errors are coming when the prepass is rendered.
I lowered the anti-aliasing and GI relative detail, but errors still exist.
There aren't any errors when I lower the resolution to 2000x1000 or when I lower the detail.

Mohawk20

How many treads were you rendering on (how many cores)? Looks like 7...
It seems like every bucket is shutting down a thread.

I think a lower image size is the best solution.
Howgh!

jo

Hi,

I think the probable cause is running out of memory. My guess is you will need to try a smaller image.

Regards,

Jo

Astaroth

Mhm.. I'm rendering with 4 cores.
Ram is @ 2GB when the errors occur and I have 4GB installed. (Sure, Windows XP just can handle about 3GB, but still there should some rest)

I will try it a little bit smaller!
Thanks for your help!

rcallicotte

The 3G switch is based on a configuration that works on Pro.  Does it work on the XP Home as well?

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

Astaroth

I read somewhere, that a 32-Bit OS gives an application maximal 2GB of the available Ram.
Is that right? So I will never have more than 2GB for Terragen on a 32-Bit Windows?

Thanks for your answers!

rcallicotte

Unless you change your OS.  Windows XP 64 is pretty inexpensive and works really well.

Quote from: Astaroth on January 13, 2009, 11:36:14 AM
I read somewhere, that a 32-Bit OS gives an application maximal 2GB of the available Ram.
Is that right? So I will never have more than 2GB for Terragen on a 32-Bit Windows?

Thanks for your answers!

Oshyan

You could also lower memory use by making the render cache size smaller. It would help to lower the number of threads to allow for better distribution of memory amongst threads, though this will of course increase render time. Windows x64 would be a better solution to take full advantage of your RAM.

- Oshyan

Astaroth

I tried the /3GB Switch and it really worked with that! So it works also on XP Home, not just prof.
I'm getting more Memory for TGD!

Thanks for your help!

rcallicotte

Good for you, then.  I'm surprised the 3G switch works, since MS didn't say it would for XP Home.