Serious Tree Issues

Started by jackblack, January 28, 2009, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

I'm having tree issues as serious as "serious cat", this is driving me completely bonkers, I've tried all kinds of tricks and techniques, but keep slamming into a brick wall, I have too much specularity (I guess that's what the white specs are) and no green on my leaves.

Everything is BLACK!!!

These are trees from xfrog converted to .obj

Here's what I keep getting:

Please, I need your helps!

-Lahara

old_blaggard

This looks like a problem with the alpha channels in the textures. Are these the Xfrog public plants? If so, I would recommend scratching them and trying something else, as repairing the textures can be difficult and the models themselves aren't of a very high quality. Perhaps you should check out www.terragen.org or the file sharing section here for better trees.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

jackblack

Well, I've even had troubles with those trees as well.

I did a test of the trees on the default planet and it looked ok, the colors were dark and a little washed out, but you could defiantly tell that they were green.

I know it's not my atmosphere, I have the samples up to 128 and the default 16 on the default sphere looked ok, so I don't know what's going on here, these trees are on high quality.

old_blaggard

Perhaps if you posted the project file and a link to the plants (if they're free) someone here could take a look at it and see what's going wrong.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

mr-miley

I'm not too sure that they are black (mind you, that may well just be my monitor  ;D ) Any way, have you tried zooming in on one of the trees and doing a render just to check. Maybe rotate the camera 180 round the z axis and move it "into" the pic so you are seeing the trees with the sun hitting the rendered side. If they are "black" then as OB said its probably a problem with the image maps (virtually definately if they are the free xfrog ones) Let me know the file name if it is one of them and I'll see if I have already converted it to work in TG2 and I'll post it for you to download the TGO version. If its not one of the free ones and you can zip up all the files and post it on the web (maybe rapidshare etc), email me the link and I'll fix it and post it back (promise I'll delete the original from my HDD if its a paid for one).

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Tangled-Universe

At first look these seem to have alpha-channel problems, hence the white spots in the textures. Like O_b said.

I normally use seperate textures for the diffuse color as well as the alpha channel. So not a tiff file already containing an alpha-channel to control opacity. I seperate these in photoshop and load them seperately in TG2. Always works.
You know how to do this kind of work?

Mr_Lamppost

A close up of a single tree would definitely be helpful.  The way the white spots are distributed definitely looks like a high specular value although this is usually accompanied by a blue sheen, which is not evedent in your image.  Many objects come with the specular values of the materials set to one, this is the first thing I check.   
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

jackblack

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on January 29, 2009, 07:13:58 AM
At first look these seem to have alpha-channel problems, hence the white spots in the textures. Like O_b said.

I normally use seperate textures for the diffuse color as well as the alpha channel. So not a tiff file already containing an alpha-channel to control opacity. I seperate these in photoshop and load them seperately in TG2. Always works.
You know how to do this kind of work?

Sorry for getting back to everyone so late.

Tangled-Universe, I'm going to try your idea first, I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

-Jimmy

jackblack

Ok, I figured out what the problem is, my leaves didn't come out when I exported them from Blender, stupid tree leaves  >:(

I'm trying something different now, maybe it will work.