What The Heck Is Going On?

Started by jackblack, February 09, 2009, 08:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

What the heck is this?

I cannot figure out for the life of me what is going on here.

Here's what I have:
Fake stones (not important).
Planet 1 (the land).
Planet 2 (the water/ocean/sea).

Nothing else really, the shaders are real simple, Base Colors, and a sandy sorta color with an altitude height control, nothing special.

I have attached a couple of pics, one with the water plant rendered, on without.

I can't figure out if that is a shadow and I can't seem to make the water look right either, the sand is not smooth, don't know how to fix that.

I also can't figure out how to make mountains rise up on my land parts, I tried mapping an alpine shader with my continent shader, didn't work.

Any tips, ideas?

-Jimmy

rcallicotte

Share your TGD, though I don't have access right now.  Anyway, letting us see your node structure can sometimes fix things like this immediately.  It's likely something isn't connected correctly.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

The dark area is a shadow from the water, because the water planet casts shadows. No other light is cast below the surface (except for GI), so this becomes a fully-opaque shadow. The reason it doesn't reach all the way to the shoreline is due to inaccuracies between the shadow-casting surfaces and the visible rendered surfaces.

The solution to this is to use a sphere, not a planet, for your water planet, because the sphere has an option to disable shadows. It can be given the same centre and radius values as planet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

jackblack