15°C (final)

Started by Hannes, February 22, 2009, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

I started this one as a test for some image map shaders. There are two of them with planar mapping for the flat surfaces and another one with camera mapping for the vertical part of the terrain. I used another camera for the projection which I placed at a 4 o'clock position to make the projection less obvious.
Additionally I used some procedural layers for the green, a broken up strata and outcrops shader and two fake stones shaders.
I upped the GI relative detail in the render settings to 3, which makes the indirect lighting of the trees especially in the darker areas much much better.
(...and the rendertime much much longer!)

Hope you like it.

Alf15000

Very nice rock structure and beautiful water ! But trees look "flat"...

Tangled-Universe

Cool rocktexturing. I kinda like everything in this image except for two things: the subsurface color of the water is very green, bit too saturated if you ask me and the clouds could use some more work. Perhaps you should also lower their coverage a bit because the image looks a bit "busy" this way.
Great work nonetheless, definitely!

Martin

schmeerlap

I like this image very much. The cracked rock texture is excellent, and I like the tree deployment (don't look flat to me). Apart from increasing the samples to get rid of the noise in them, the clouds are good. I agree about the over-saturated green in the reflection of the trees in the water, but overall, great work.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

cyphyr

Personally I like the water, clouds could do with some work (imho) but the image mapped rocks really err "rock" ! :)
Image mapped textures can give you very, very realistic results. How big were the images you used by the way?
:)
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Thank you all.
I used 128 samples for the clouds. Maybe not enough, but I also increased the roughness in the noise settings.

The green colour of the water seems to be a matter of taste (apart from the wave settings it was just out of the box). I personally like it too.

I used some textures from here:
http://www.cgtextures.com/
3008 to 2000px.

FrankB

Hi Hannes,

you certainly have some nice rock structure in the image. I think the most part is a little bit too rough or sharp. The render would have benefited from higher AA.
Overall it's a very pleasant scene. I like the green water :-)

Cheers,
Frank

Oshyan

I agree Frank, higher AA or a different AA filter perhaps, but otherwise the rock is superb. Water color doesn't bother me either. Trees look pretty good. Just the clouds need a little something, but they're already looking good too. Great scene!

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thanks again guys. Yes, more AA would be nice, but I'm still stitching :)
Btw I think the roughness is caused by the displacement of the image map shader.

Right now I am rendering some images with the same clouds with 256 samples. If you have some suggestions how I could change the clouds, let me know.
For some of you I rendered the water with a little less greener colour. When everything is put together I'll show you the results.

Oshyan

What AA filter are you using? You may not have to increase AA but just change the filter for smoother results.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Well, this is embarrassing :-[
I've just been searching for the AA filters and realized that I forgot to install the latest version.
OK, first I'll finish the renders with a lower displacement setting and if this doesn't help, I'll try the filters.

Oshyan

I think the displacement level is good, I wouldn't want to see the fine details lost from lesser displacement. I do think a different AA filter might be just the trick though.

- Oshyan

Hannes

Which one do you suggest?

Oshyan

I like Mitchell-Netravali or Catmull-Rom, but since you've got sharpness issues the "soft" Cubic B-spline *might* be useful. You should try with a crop render in that area I think. Here are some examples on a different scene:
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=5142.msg53401#msg53401

- Oshyan

Hannes

Thank you. Rendering now.