15°C (final)

Started by Hannes, February 22, 2009, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Looks promising (Cubic B-Spline soft):

inkydigit

looking very promising, so far...look forward tothe update!

GioMez

I wish I could make rocks like those!
Great work!

rcallicotte

I agree with all of the praise here.  EXCELLENT work.  And I too wish I could make rocks like those - fabulous.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

That looks good so far Hannes.
You might also compare it with mitchell-netravalli, since I personally like that filter the most. To me it has a very nice balance suitable for images with surfacedetails and objects.

Quote from: calico on February 23, 2009, 07:49:00 AM
I agree with all of the praise here.  EXCELLENT work.  And I too wish I could make rocks like those - fabulous.

Absolutely good rocks, but also keep in mind that it is 'just' a phototexture (don't get me wrong here) and not any kind of TG-displacement, besides that there is some extra surfacing on top of it of course. Being a TG-purist myself I would try that at all times, though I have to admit similar results are very hard to get. The tiling-size, placement and prevention of tiling-effect is done very well in the first version.
What I mean to say that however this is very good it is relatively "easy" compared to doing this procedural.

Hannes

You're absolutely right, TU. Before I used the texture mapping I tried to create some natural looking cracked rock surfaces. Didn't really work, so I thought why not using texture maps?
So I started to use two or three different textures, each one on top of the other, broken up by some power fractals to make the tiling more or less invisible. Then I realized that the textures are distorted at the vertical parts of the terrain.
And I thought why not using the "through camera" mapping, when it looks natural. What I REALLY did NOT want to see is this projection through the render camera because this always looks fake. So I created another camera at the 4 o'clock position relative to the render camera, as I already mentioned.
In the image map shaders I applied the displacement with a low value of 0.15. The first version had 0.3, but as you can see it was too much.
Even if it's not as pure as procedurals, there's still a lot of things that can be wrong. So for me it's a challenge.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hannes on February 23, 2009, 09:41:40 AM
You're absolutely right, TU. Before I used the texture mapping I tried to create some natural looking cracked rock surfaces. Didn't really work, so I thought why not using texture maps?
So I started to use two or three different textures, each one on top of the other, broken up by some power fractals to make the tiling more or less invisible. Then I realized that the textures are distorted at the vertical parts of the terrain.
And I thought why not using the "through camera" mapping, when it looks natural. What I REALLY did NOT want to see is this projection through the render camera because this always looks fake. So I created another camera at the 4 o'clock position relative to the render camera, as I already mentioned.
In the image map shaders I applied the displacement with a low value of 0.15. The first version had 0.3, but as you can see it was too much.
Even if it's not as pure as procedurals, there's still a lot of things that can be wrong. So for me it's a challenge.

Thanks for sharing insight on this. The through camera projection is a very good way of preventing that fake look. Projection through the rendercamera also results in scale-issues for example.

(I'm working on a quite realistic rockstructure with voronoi-cracks etc. It looks quite convincing and is very easy to adjust in terms of scales and displacement. I've already posted some images of it (it's one of my latest). I'm planning to make it available soon, so maybe you're interested.)

Hannes

rcallicotte

Thanks for sharing your technique, Hannes.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

ra

Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

moodflow

This is FANTASTIC!  Nothing wrong with using image maps as needed.  I've used similar techniques in the past.  Personally, I'd love to pull of techniques procedurally, but sometimes, there just isn't a way with known techniques.  Excellent work!   :o
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

moodflow

I was thinking about the camera projection techniques Hannes used in this scene and realized something. 

If one uses camera projection from the render camera itself for the image maps (as I have been doing), then animating the scene would not effectively work since the image map would slide with the moving/panning render camera as the scene animated.  This would look highly unrealistic and strange.  So I had wrote off this technique for animations originally.

But if the projections are through other stationary cameras (as Hannes did), the scene could likely be animated without the image map sliding effect, especially for smaller movements.   Larger movements would require more cameras and image map projections as the render camera panned or moved off the current screen, but that shouldn't be hard to implement.

So this is indeed great work here Hannes!   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

jo

Hi,

Ah, it's a photo texture! When I saw that latest image with the soft filter I couldn't help feeling it looked an awful lot like a surface out a game, albeit a detailed one. Not that I have anything against using photo textures mind you, sometimes it's the best way to get something photorealistic :-).

Regards,

Jo

Marcos Silveira

I like the greenish water...
"Here" there is a lake more deep green...

Hannes

OK, here is the update. It took a long time to put this together.
I reduced the green of the water. As already mentioned I used the Cubic B-spline AA filter (really great!). I then increased the displacement in the rock shader again after applying the AA filter, because it was too smooth.
I added a little bit more grass and created new clouds.
The value of the GI relative detail was set to 4 to make the trees look more realistic (a great difference in my eyes).
Little postwork to make the colours of the single images suit together.