Backup Methodologies

Started by moodflow, January 26, 2009, 04:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neuspadrin

Thanks for the attempts for hope of my harddrive Oshyan, but I know that, and I already tried ripping it out in desperation and pluggin her into my desktop... but I knew the chances were basically 0.00001%...

*CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKSHZAAARRSSSZZCLICK*

:'(

definite hard drive killing itself, not the controllers in the enclosure.

as for using as only backup, that was the point but i switch between computers and os's so often a lot of times i forget to drag some data to actually have it again.  thats the main reason why i lost my older terragen stuff, as those started before i had my laptop and then most recently desktop.  stuff sometimes just forgets to get unbackuped into new computers.

Oshyan

Ah well, it was worth a try! The other thin I'm into now is using external drives with RAID built-in. The likelihood of both drives failing at once is very low, so it allows you to not worry as much about keeping some data *only* on the "backup" drive since it has redundancy built-in.

- Oshyan

neuspadrin

They have raid built in backup drives now? sweet.

mr-miley

Hi all

Guess what happened whilst I was reading this very thread?.... yep, you got it, one of my hard drives, he go bang!  >:( Luckily enough I had all the important stuff backed up onto the network. What are the chances of that?

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

FrankB

Quote from: mr-miley on March 03, 2009, 03:49:58 AM
Hi all

Guess what happened whilst I was reading this very thread?.... yep, you got it, one of my hard drives, he go bang!  >:( Luckily enough I had all the important stuff backed up onto the network. What are the chances of that?

Miles

probably very low :-) ... too bad you haven't use that incident of chance with the lottery, but wrecked you HD instead :-)

mr-miley

Frank

Too right. I'm going to have to work on that  ;D If I can get it to work and I win the lottery, I'll buy Planetside a couple more programmers  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning