Stream Networks

Started by Cyber-Angel, February 07, 2007, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber-Angel

I am not sure weather stream networks are been envisaged for Terragen in the future I would imagine they are and are likely to be in the distant future, even still I thought that this PDF on a Stack Based method may be of some interest for future reference.

http://www.crwr.utexas.edu/reports/pdf/1996/rpt96-5.pdf

Any way I hope it is of use as stream and river networks would be a nice edition to the feature set in the future, but these are likely to require much development work and I understand this (Before I here shouting form the peanut gallery).

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

buzzzzz

Sounds interesting, hope you don't mind but I'm changing the subject here. With your vast knowledge of Terragen you must create some awesome images! Wondering if you can point me to your gallery for some inspiration? Please  :)

old_blaggard

C-A's gallery is over at www.ashundar.com.  You can just run a search for his works in the gallery.  He's also Cyber-Angel over there.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

buzzzzz

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 07, 2007, 12:28:56 PM
C-A's gallery is over at www.ashundar.com.  You can just run a search for his works in the gallery.  He's also Cyber-Angel over there.

Ah! Thank You!

Dark Fire

River networks would be nice, but they would be quite complicated. I haven't read that PDF yet (it's too long), but I'd say that the easiest method to create a river would be to place a water source (or multiple sources) somewhere and specify their water output, the speed at which the river naturally grows (from water dripping from soil and rain and other stuff), and the age of the river (for erosion purposes). Terragen could then work out where the water would flow and, based on the size and age of the river and the speed at which the water is travelling in it, it could create the path of the river as well as any associated features (such as ox-bow lakes). However, to get the most out of that system, Terragen would need different rock types, which would affect erosion speed at different places and the sediment load of the river...