Started by Mahnmut, September 22, 2007, 07:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Hi there.
After finding Mr Mileys beautiful palm trees,
I started trying on some beach scene.
That´s my first more detailed render:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1228/1425452278_071ebfc34b_o.jpg

I used a terrain file of hawaii plus a fractal terrain in order to add some beachlike flat parts to the otherwise very steep terrain, simply like this:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1053/1424569349_605187d2da_o.jpg

here comes the problem:
when i reopened the program and file after some rest, my beaches had gone, leaving me with steep rocks in the distance, same pov as first pic:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1327/1424569265_4e24b3b7c4_o.jpg

Hitting generate terrain did not help.
I´d really like to get exactly my "beach" back, it was some work to adapt the distribution of the trees to exactly that view I wanted.

Thanks,
jan

cyphyr

Well for a start for a first render that's brilliant :) I dont know any way you can get back "exactly" the sane POV you had initially as for what ever reason that file was not saved, just have to accept that I'm afraid. However I do notice that your method of simply having one height field shader plugged directly in to the input of another will not give you the control you could use. Try using a merge shader before the compute terrain and plugging your two height-fields in to that. You will then be able to control how much each Height field effects the other. By keeping the Height-fields separate you can manipulate them individually and create much more subtle effects. You should be able to place your camera exactly where you wish relative to the Hawaii shader and then add your subtle height texturing via the slider and mix options on the merge shader from the fractaly generated height field.

Another good habit to start off at the start is to name your shaders as you create them.

A bit waffaly but I hope you get what I mean.

Keep on rendering and show us your results

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mahnmut

Thanks, Cyphyr.
Glad you like it.
By the way, I didn´t mean to say that it was my first render at all, but the first higher quality render of this scene.
Still have a lot of adjustments to make once I got my beach back.
I will try the merge shader!
best regards,
Jan

Oshyan

That first beach image is really nice. It's strange that you appear to have lost your perspective or the specifics of the terrain placement. I'm not sure exactly what would be occurring here but the one known problem that might have come into play is that upon reloading a project sometimes Heightfield Load nodes won't actually be loading the heightfield and they need to simply be "refreshed" by unchecking and rechecking the "load from file" box. Hopefully that helps. Otherwise, if you can reproduce this, please let us know the specific circumstances.

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

@ Oshyan:
Gladly I havn´t been able to reproduce the problem but I can tell you the circumstances of the first time:
Its not the pov thats lost, the cameraposition relative to the populations is the same as before.
What I forgot to mention:
I had shut down the program because some tabs didn´t react anymore. so I saved (or tried to) and restarted.
So after reconsidering I think its not a terrain-specific problem but one of saving after some kind of partial crash?
Best regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

At least I have been able to reproduce the Image,
although I liked the first pov slightly better.
I will make a version with higher detail and GI as fast as I find out why my trees dont cast shadows.
Any Ideas?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1389/1430008889_5ca695eaa0_o.jpg

cyphyr

Looking good so far:) Your palms are casting shadows, just very thin ones directly to the left. How did you get the beach surf line, thats very believable.

Richard

Actually looking it again, is this a photoshop comp (not a crit)? The AA on the left is coarser than on the right.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bigben

It depends partly on how you tried to save.  You mentioned that things began to stop working which is why you restrated TG. In my experience there is a progression of failure that occurs. Buttons will go first, followed by menu items and finally shortcut keys.  CTRL + S is the safest way to save AFAIK, (possibly) remaining functional after buttons or menus stop working. Type it often   ;)

Mahnmut

@Bigben:
thanks for the tip, at least some first aid for the next time!

@ Cyphyr:
Thanks, I am also a bit proud of my surfline.  :)
The only postwork I did was combining five parts I rendered one by one in order to prevent my computer from crushing in the middle of the render. 100% terragen!
Surfline:
underwater (max alt=waterlevel+2cm, fuzz=2cm) the ground turns bluish. so the rim of the water isn´t really water.
The surf is made of two surface layers with a perlin billows fractal displacement, one with max alt= wet sand-x, the other with max alt=waterlevel+2cm.
Maybe I will post a clip when all is tidy and named.
I am just wondering if I can pronounce one direction of waves, for example paralleling the coastline?

best regards, Jan

Mahnmut

Have fun with it!

Mohawk20

Whoa, this is an old topic...

So what is the tgc you just shared with us exactly?
Howgh!

folder

I asked him for help on making a shoreline and he put the clipfile into this the original thread

folder

Mahnmut

Yes, thats the answer.
but I just realized that this clip was no good, everytime I connect it to a new tgd, it freezes.
I will have to invest some more time into this.
I hope in the end it´s worth it, because although I am quite content with this shoreline I am not sure if it works with different settings for lighting, detail, steepness and with transparent water.
Better clip or tgd will follow shortly!

Here it comes.
this version isn´t as good as the original, but it contains all there is to learn from me (about shorelines in TG) the rest is a lot of finetuning.

folder

domdib

Thanks v much for this file Mahnmut. Maybe you should put this in the file sharing forum too?