feature request; get land altitude, water excluded

Started by Dune, April 27, 2009, 04:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The post I started about getting a foam layer to correspond with water depth, or land altitude, doesn't trigger any great ideas, hence my request for another 'get altitude'. It should get the land altitude (ignoring the water), or get the water depth (waterlevel minus land altitude). That seems to be the only way to deal with coastal foam, without having to use external masks. Please  ;D

---Dune

Matt

That function is important for creating waves that approach shorelines, etc. and is the reason the built-in water does not have those features yet. I realise how useful it would be. I think that we will add this for some future update but I can't say when it will fit in our current schedule.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Thanks for your answer, Matt. I'll wait patiently...

---Dune

efflux

I haven't worked with water yet but there is one thing I would like to see because I know this is a problem in Mojoworld. In Mojo you can create shore area changes in water surface by using an ocean depth node but this has some issues because it means foam etc disappears at cliffs that plunge into the water at steep angles. I'm not sure how difficult a "shore distance" node would be.

Dune

If you would indeed have a 'depth gauge' that works with foam (which we don't), and link an 'add' or 'multiply' node, you can probably increase the foam width from even steep shores, I would think. Or some node should take the 'null distance' = where water meets land, and simply add to it with a constant.

---Dune