Q: making path of water

Started by Sp34k, May 16, 2009, 12:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sp34k

Dear Goms,

I have to admit that I'm still not 100% sure how to do all those things.. First of all, I'm amazed over how you even made those waterfalls.. The first tricky part is to make the terrain like that, I can't really shape terrange and all that, I'm trying to do a research for tutorials or a guide showing how to make your own terrains..

Like on your picture you showed with the waterfalls, it's unclear to me how you even made the terrain so flat and how you ended it like that (where the waterfall starts to go down).. I still struggles with understanding how to put textures on trees etc. (I have to keep trying) - So I really appreciate your help and your brilliant idéas, but it's still rather unclear for me where to start, what settings to adjust and what "shader" and all that I should use.. I'm not even into the shaders yet, I find it difficult to understand at the moment..

But I started with terragen 2 for a week ago so I can't make anything "WOAW", you can see some of my work on www.sp34k.com under Portfolio and then 3D.. If you ask me "how did you make that", then im not 100% sure because I try alot of things to see "what happens if... and if... and what now?".. But I'm doing all I can to learn and find solutions to my problems/questions..

I just tried with drawing, but all that happens is that I make those white strokes on my render-preview (or what it's called) - nothing happens :)

Regards,
Mike
Learning history and science, wait,
Knowing that, will that put food on my plate?
Yeah, can I walk into McDonald's, into the counter,
And tell them you can make limestone from gunpowder,
Will they give me a cheeseburger if I know that shit?

cyphyr

lol
Quote from: Sp34kbecause I try alot of things to see "what happens if... and if... and what now?".. But I'm doing all I can to learn and find solutions to my problems/questions..
Think thats how we all learned :)
Do you have any experience in any other modeling packages? The scene you looking to make (judging from you photo) would lend itself well to specific modeling in another package. Exporting the terrain and building a flowing structure (river like, look at the demo of realflow) around it.
good luck
richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Sp34k

Haha, yeah just like everybody else:) I learn more and more for everday..

The only software I have experience in is Photoshop, but after some years it all seems the same so I wanted to expand my horrizont, so Terragen 2 was my choice and I'll stick to that:)
But from what I can see and read on the internet, then I need to start on a way lower stage.. I just looked at some realflow and to me it looks pretty hard, it doesn't bother me though but I wan't to learn WHAT the settings does, insteed of knowing how to do it.. If you know what I mean?

Anyways.. I guess I'll have to keep trying different settings in Terragen 2 to understand what they do.. My goal for now is learning how to make a good terrain that fits my imagination and idéas, insteed of making some random terrain and then find a good POV, then I wan't to learn how to make the scene as I want it, and then learning how to put textures on objects/ground..

And when I have the right knowledge, then I'll return and hopefully understand what you guys are suggesting me to do:) Thanks to you all, cyphyr, Goms and Oshyan..

Regards,
Mike
Learning history and science, wait,
Knowing that, will that put food on my plate?
Yeah, can I walk into McDonald's, into the counter,
And tell them you can make limestone from gunpowder,
Will they give me a cheeseburger if I know that shit?