Creating a DOF-mask in TG2 tutorial, now @ NWDA!

Started by Tangled-Universe, February 15, 2009, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Hi everybody,

Frank asked me if I'd be interested in being a co-author of his website New World Digital Arts (NWDA) to write news-items, tech-articles/packs.

So hereby I publish the first tech-article by me on how to create an accurate 'Depth Of Field'-mask (DOF-mask) in Terragen 2 :)
I hope you'll find it useful and that it will aid you in creating beautiful images!

http://nwda.webnode.com/news/creating-a-dof-in-tg2/

Martin

P.S. questions about this tutorial can be asked here of course, please do not open separate topics :)

rcallicotte

Cool.  I'll check it out.  Thanks for posting something. 

I'm glad Frank has made this site available to everyone to learn.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

schmeerlap

Another useful tutorial. However, just below Fig 5 you state "As you can see the gradient is set from 0 to 30 metres from the camera. Hence again, far colour white starts at 0 metres and near color black". Whereas in fig 5 the far colour is black and near colour is white; it got me confused, which isn't hard. Further down the tut you have a typo error in the Setting up the Distance Shader for Objects section, "You might might see it showing up ..."  obviously should read "You might not see it showing up ...".

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: schmeerlap on February 15, 2009, 12:34:08 PM
Another useful tutorial. However, just below Fig 5 you state "As you can see the gradient is set from 0 to 30 metres from the camera. Hence again, far colour white starts at 0 metres and near color black". Whereas in fig 5 the far colour is black and near colour is white; it got me confused, which isn't hard. Further down the tut you have a typo error in the Setting up the Distance Shader for Objects section, "You might might see it showing up ..."  obviously should read "You might not see it showing up ...".

John

Thank you John, I've inmediately fixed these 2 things.
First I used another project as example and I forgot to change the explanation of those settings. It shouldn't be confusing anymore now :)

leafspring

Thanks for the interesting tutorial. I'll definitely give a try the next days. :)
Lang lang er vejen for Aslaug
Længe venter lykken på Kraka

Seth

good job Martin ! that will be useful for a lot of us ^^

choronr

Thanks Martin and Frank. This will be very helpful especially for those scenes close to the ground where many details exist.

FrankB

Has anyone seen the video at the end of the tutorial, that shows how to apply a dof mask using GIMP?
Was that useful?
Is there more general interest in how to videos?
Also, would you like to learn more about using GIMP, the open source image manipulation tool, and how to use it for postworking TG2 renders?
Thanks,
Frank

choronr

Quote from: FrankB on February 18, 2009, 01:57:07 PM
Has anyone seen the video at the end of the tutorial, that shows how to apply a dof mask using GIMP?
Was that useful?
Is there more general interest in how to videos?
Also, would you like to learn more about using GIMP, the open source image manipulation tool, and how to use it for postworking TG2 renders?
Thanks,
Frank

The video was excellent. I only must learn to enlarge it and slow it down. The tutorial on applying a mask for DOF is excellent and will be necessary for me in the future. Pictures as they say are worth a thousand words - in this case of digital art, videos are truly a great help. And, yes, I would like to know about GIMP and its use including postworking. Thanks Frank ...your site is invaluable.

GioMez

Very useful tutorial!
Just a question (maybe stupid): what I have to do if there is also a lake in my scene?

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: GioMez on June 02, 2009, 07:58:50 AM
Very useful tutorial!
Just a question (maybe stupid): what I have to do if there is also a lake in my scene?

Good question!

My first guess would be to disable the reflectivity and transparency in the watershader and add the distance shader's output to the input of the watershader.

Martin

littlecannon

I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

GioMez

Thank you Martin!
I've a render in progress.. after that I'll try the tip ;)