New sun bug

Started by vissroid, February 13, 2007, 03:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vissroid

Well Im pretty sure this is a new one. I didnt see one like this so...sorry if its already been talked about. :P

It's close to the sun glow through the ground bug.

What it is: The sun glow in the atmosphere seems to deviate away from the visible disk.
Before anyone ask. there is only one sun in the image. no other lightsources are present.

Look at attached image for idea.

old_blaggard

Weird!  It's an irritating bug if you're going for realism, but it's still kind of cool....
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Will

that is really weird, huh can you replicate it?

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Oshyan

Please post a .tgd so we can replicate it.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

vissroid

Quote from: Oshyan on February 13, 2007, 10:56:54 PM
Please post a .tgd so we can replicate it.

Thanks!

- Oshyan

shoooooow me potato salad! .:: points to the sky ::.

lol sorry fam' guy joke...

here it is. I had to go back near where the prob' happened and just happened to find it a again but not in the same spot. is its easy to get apparently(or at least in the file)

vissroid

.:: mainly does this to get it bumped back up ::.

So was this lil prob' fixed/or figured out and will be fixed? or still being figured out?

becuase I get this quite a few times. I seem to have a nack for finding this bug, here and there. lol

lmao

Oshyan

Another one lost in the email notification pile, now resurrected.

I've taken a look at the file and can reproduce the problem but I'm unsure yet what is causing it. It may be due to extreme/odd atmospheric settings, although you may have produced it on more or less default settings as well.

I'll have development look at it when they get a chance and a fix will be made available as soon as it can be tracked down and resolved. That may not be in the next update I'm afraid, but certainly before the final release.

- Oshyan

vissroid

Glad to hear that you see it as well.

I've gotta mess with the atmosphere settings all the time to get them right for outer space imagery,

one of my thoughts would be is: wouldn't it just be easier to make the default scene you start with being a planet that's earths size and has all the atmosphere heights set to how earth is in the beginning?

and everything else set to random general areas for the rest(the three dif' cloud type ending where they would normally be at when placed in first but giving the ability to mess with off the bat of course).

Just thought it was something that'd be easier for everyone to understand faster than this planet you start with that like 6 times bigger than earth(or however it goes)

just a thought in this woerd atmosphere bug thread. lol

Oshyan

Quote from: vissroid on April 24, 2007, 07:17:12 AM
one of my thoughts would be is: wouldn't it just be easier to make the default scene you start with being a planet that's earths size and has all the atmosphere heights set to how earth is in the beginning?

Actually the defaults *are* about right for Earth. The radius for the planet is specified as 6.378e+006 which is 6,378,000 meters or 6,378 kilometers. Double this for diameter and you have 12,756km. You can see the diameter of Earth is properly 12,756.3 km here: http://www.factbook.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/earth_1.html

I don't know if the atmosphere settings can be checked as easily since they don't necessarily correspond *directly* to actual atmospheric measurements but I do know that they're intended to be "Earth normal" as well and basic eyeballing of a default TG2 space render compared against a real image of Earth from space essentially confirms at least a visual similarity in terms of atmosphere height, etc.

The file you posted with the atmospheric glow error had some pretty extreme atmospheric modifications, which I presume is responsible for the problem as I've done hundreds of space images and haven't yet seen this in my own images. So if you're aiming for an Earth-like result I'd recommend just leaving the defaults as they are, or at most doing some *slight* tweaking to color and avoiding much change in heights, especially the overall floor and ceiling heights.

The error itself will be resolved in the future, as previously noted.

- Oshyan