4.7 trillion triangles rendered

Started by Oshyan, June 20, 2009, 04:10:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Quote from: Mandrake on June 21, 2009, 05:04:00 PM
This is instancing with this render correct? I don't think you calculate polys with true instancing the same as counting millions of separate tree models.

That's true, in terms of memory use. People often quote the numbers that way though.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

You guys are way tougher than the Vue crowd. :D

- Oshyan

FrankB

Yeah, but we're still amazed regardless. ;D

To me, the ability to simplify complexity without loosing realism in the process is the true art and magic of the renderer. I see it this way: there are 4.8 trillion triangles in the scene, but the renderer manages this complexity, so that the entire image is ready and rendered in just about an hour.
So in a sense, it's probably ok to say "4.7 trillion triangles rendered".

Cheers,
Frank

Jack

um I dont know any other program that can handle nearly 5 trillion polygons without crashing im amazed but not surprised ;D I have always noticed teragen handles complex objects like no other app its like they arent even their!!!
lolz it funny when vue users brag about 60 billion polygons but come on 4.7 trillion polygons they don't even come close haha!
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Hetzen

It's the initial size of this app that amazes me. 5mb!

But where I think this program really shines, is in it's ability to add displacment detail that nothing else I've seen comes close to.

FrankB

Quote from: Hetzen on June 22, 2009, 04:13:25 AM
It's the initial size of this app that amazes me. 5mb!

But where I think this program really shines, is in it's ability to add displacment detail that nothing else I've seen comes close to.

fully agree!

dandelO

If I load a larger object in Vue/Carrara/etc, and this is likely also because of the limitations of my pc, I often get maybe a minute's hang-time before the program will begin to respond again, if it does at all and I don't have to kill the task and put it down to experience.
Depending on the size and complexity of the model.

Terragen just laughs at all of my models, loads them with a speed that no other 3D app' can match, and then just looks at me with a smile that asks for more! 'Is that all you got, Mr. delO? Ha! I'm already preview rendering!'

;)

EDIT: *** That is, unless it's Mandrake's Camaro, my TG doesn't like that one! Sorry, Kenny. :(

Mandrake

Yep, I think the AT-AT-WALKER will hit the upper limit also.

Oshyan

Ah, so next is time to try with some really high poly models. Anyone have a source of something good in OBJ format? I remember the Michelangelo Scanning Project that scanned his statue of David at something like 56 million triangles, but I recall that had some annoying application process to use the data. Something comparable perhaps? I know, I know, instancing is far different from a single high poly model. But I'm in the mood to test boundaries... ;D

- Oshyan

j meyer

Hi,
the model with the highest polycount i've tested (as of yet) was 2.4million
quads ->no problems.
Most likely you won't find really high poly objs on the net ,'cause the files would
be rather huge,i'm afraid.For example:had a ZBrush generated obj (no normals)
of ca. 33 mb,no textures,took it to another app to get the normals and it was
approx. 130 mb then --- and that was a rather low poly model.So maybe you can
imagine what kind of file sizes you'd get with high poly models with normals and
textures.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Oshyan on June 22, 2009, 11:21:09 PM
Ah, so next is time to try with some really high poly models. Anyone have a source of something good in OBJ format? I remember the Michelangelo Scanning Project that scanned his statue of David at something like 56 million triangles, but I recall that had some annoying application process to use the data. Something comparable perhaps? I know, I know, instancing is far different from a single high poly model. But I'm in the mood to test boundaries... ;D

- Oshyan

I have a ~2 million poly pine tree-model, but it has no textures yet. Not really comparable to 56 million polys but at least it's a tree :)

Oshyan

2 million? Pah! I'm not impressed. ;)

Ah, I have an idea: Arbaro. ;D

- Oshyan

Jack

what about that rock generator thing inst that supposed to create ridiculous size polygon meshes
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

neon22

Try here:
http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/
Thai statue is 38,800,000 triangles (but only 10,000,000 on the site - need to request the big guy....)

Oshyan

Yeah, that's the stuff I was remembering, thanks. Still need to request the big one though. Hmm...

- Oshyan