Frame 04 PoC

Started by Hetzen, July 19, 2009, 06:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

One of six proof of concepts using Terragen, Max, Photoshop and After Effects. The idea being to eventually animate this. We'll see..

C&C welcomed.

FrankB

I'm not sure what this is but it looks pretty damn cool. I can already see the dust splash away and debris shooting about :)

tee

well that's very different, appear to be a massive collapse of some kind, debris falling dust clouds shooting out.

Tangled-Universe

Look awesome! But what is it?? Tell us, tell us! ;D
Can you also explain a little about what you do in which softwarepackage and little bit how?

Martin

Hetzen

I'm a bit limited to what I can say in terms of what it is. Sorry. Everything is very much in an early stage, including geometry.

What I can say is that the six frames are based and set around TG landscapes, and you really don't see much of it in this frame. I went with this approach to see what I could get out of TG, plus it allows me to set up any camera angles without having to create a new matte per frame. The dust clouds are photoshop, with the intention of using stock dust cloud footage which come with z-depth in After Effects, where most of the grading will occur, augmented with other particle effects. The falling rocks are a precursor to what will eventually be animated in Max through a particle system, which will involve collision detection and sub particle dust splash. I used After Effects to comp this still, because it's a simple matter of substituting animated passes in a non-destructive work flow if/when this goes to animation. What I need to do eventually is work out what package is more efficient at delivering the various elements and optimize those scenes to minimum render times. TG will very much be in the plate generation, maybe some cloud animation, but although these objects were rendered in TG, it looks like I'll have to keep them in Max and Vray for future renders.

Tangled-Universe

Very interesting :)
Do you use Dave's plugin to export from TG2 to Max?

One day I'd like to integrate TG2 work into other 3D apps.
My first intention is just for still images. For example I'd like to integrate chalets/houses into landscapes.
Then I'd like to use the geometry from TG2 in order to get correct shadowing on the surfaces.
(Eventually it would be really cool to render a frame in TG2, populate it with trees from Xfrog and then do some kind of wind-simulation etc. Though that would be pretty advanced)

What is in your opinion the easiest approach for something like this (to learn)? Please keep in mind that I have little experience with this :)

Martin

Hetzen

QuoteDo you use Dave's plugin to export from TG2 to Max?

If it's the Emecstudios one, then yes. It's been very usefull. Take for instance my NWDA entry, I exported an lwo of the terrain in TG at something like Q:0.3 AA:3, then converted that to an object, which was then imported into Max, making sure my units were in metres. I then had my procederal wall and camera so that I could then place my plants and tree exactly where I wanted within Max, which were then exported as objects with the correct world positioning, so that it all lined up perfectly in TG. Saying that, I've had some issues with trying to get images from Max to line up correctly with those from TG, even though the camera FOV, position and frame aspect were exactly the same, not sure what went on there. I need to do some more tests with that. But in terms of getting geometry into TG from Max, it's excellent.

As for animating Xfrog plants, I'm afraid I'm not really clued up on that. I know Vue allows you to do this, and that Vue also now works in Max with Vray, but the guy who uses it at our place has had some major headaches with Vue upgrades and render cows, that he's loathed to go to 7.5. I'm also not really familliar with animated geometry streem formats either, something that is on my agenda at some stage.

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Hetzen on July 20, 2009, 09:05:23 AM
QuoteDo you use Dave's plugin to export from TG2 to Max?

If it's the Emecstudios one, then yes. It's been very usefull. Take for instance my NWDA entry, I exported an lwo of the terrain in TG at something like Q:0.3 AA:3, then converted that to an object, which was then imported into Max, making sure my units were in metres. I then had my procederal wall and camera so that I could then place my plants and tree exactly where I wanted within Max, which were then exported as objects with the correct world positioning, so that it all lined up perfectly in TG. Saying that, I've had some issues with trying to get images from Max to line up correctly with those from TG, even though the camera FOV, position and frame aspect were exactly the same, not sure what went on there. I need to do some more tests with that. But in terms of getting geometry into TG from Max, it's excellent.

Yes I meant that one :)

So for my better understandig: why did you use Max to position your trees and plants? I mean; TG2 doesn't give you the same amount of control like Max but it can still be done without too much effort.
Do  you perhaps have some time on messenger to give me some explanations?

Cheers,
Martin

Hetzen

PM sent.

I did originally use TG to place the tree, but I wanted to rotate it to get a better hang of folage. Max gave me an imediated update, as well as being able to sort out problem bits of too straight geometry. I'm afraid I don't really understand the vector rotation of planes and such in TG either.

tee

you had me at "sub particle dust splash;D
sounds intense

Seth