Help ! Terragen not showing texture and not using mask

Started by elscorpio, July 11, 2009, 06:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elscorpio

Hi

I am trying to export a tree model from onyx tree suite and then apply textures and load it into terragen.
The textures for the leaves gets messed up in the process.
I have search this forum and i though some post come close, couldn't find anyone with similar problem.
I have included some screenshots to show how it looks, here is what i do.

1. export the tree model from onyx tree suite in obj format

2. Import the model into poseray and apply leaves texture for the leaves and a mask texture to get the right shape for the leaves.
in poseray it displays correctly. the poseray view.jpg shows the tree and the poseray closeup.jpg shows the a closeup on the leaves in poseray
The poseray mat setup.jpg shows the material setup in poseray.
I learned somewhere on this forum that i shouldn't use spaces either in the folder names or in the path or the filename. so i don't

3. I then export the model from poseray to obj. The object and the texture are located in the same directory.

4. I then import it into terragen using the object/Add object/Obj reader.
Then it looks like that in the below image terragen render of tree.jpg and the terragen closeup.jpg
It works fine if i just apply a texture and not use a mask. The texture displays in terragen

What am i doing wrong ?

I noticed a thread where says he does the same thing (onyx tree->poseray->terragen) and where he is able to access the different geometric groups, Maybe that is a way of getting a mask tex on the leaves, but all i get is obj node.

Tangled-Universe

Your alpha-channel is not active, hence the black edges around your leaf textures.

The texture-assignment to geometry in poseray does not really work that well.
When I export from poseray I always manually assign the textures in TG2.

What I find funny though is that the textures look b/w. Didn't you load the bumpmap by accident (if you have one)?

Martin

elscorpio

I included a screendump of how the material assingment looks like in poseray.

Did i do it right  ?

How do i assign textures from within terragen ?

All i have is node with my tree object in terragen. ???

Henry Blewer

If you have Xfrog's Sampler, load one of their trees in. Look at each of the tabs and check out the input dialog boxes. It should give you a good idea of what needs to be done.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

j meyer

Hi,
just in case:right click on the object node and then choose internal network
there you'll get access to the material shaders and settings.

elscorpio

That's the ticket, now the mask is working.  ;D

Thank you all for your quick replies.

I used j meyer  advice, i am not very experienced with terragen and i didn't know about the internal network and more specificly it's the internal network of the parts shader, which lead to individual parts of the tree.

From there i can choose an opacity texture for the leaves. I don't even have to use poseray, i can just export it straight from onyx suite.

If you have Xfrog's Sampler, load one of their trees in. Look at each of the tabs and check out the input dialog boxes. It should give you a good idea of what needs to be done.

good advice, i think i will have a look at a xfrog tree, if nothing just to compare onyx trees and XFrog  :-\

The texture-assignment to geometry in poseray does not really work that well.
When I export from poseray I always manually assign the textures in TG2.

What I find funny though is that the textures look b/w. Didn't you load the bumpmap by accident (if you have one)?

Yes that is odd, it seems every time i used a mask texture in poseray and export it and load into terragen this will happen.
So guess you are right poseray's texture-assignment not the best. 

Here is a sample, it still need some work, but now i can move forward...thanks a million  ;D

dandelO

Poseray actually is the best app to assign textures in TG. The only thing is that once they're assigned in PR, you often need to re-assign them in TG again once you import it.
Poseray and TG work very well together, it's just a shame that the alpha channel images do not carry over from PR to TG. A minor thing though really, if you know how to re-assign them in the internal networks.

Now, you just need to work on the bark... ;)