I'm Back, answering questions about Windows 7 ;p

Started by Mohawk20, August 04, 2009, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Hi guys, I'm back from Italy, and there's obviously a lot of catching up to do, if that's even possible.

I got some nice pictures and impressions which will come later.

I had some money left after returning home, so I bought some extra RAM. The thing is, I can't do anything with it, until I go 64-bit.
I have been thinking about installing the 64-bit Beta of Windows 7.

My question: Would that be a good idea? What are your experiences with Win7?
Howgh!

PG

My experience is very good. I've not heard from anyone who is actually competent with computers and not a moron who has had compatibility issues other than IE8 which is just horrible but you can always replace that. As for which version to get, I wouldn't advise Home Premium because there's nothing premium about it. Professional has the all important XP compatibility and allows you to create recovery media to restore Windows 7 with the license and all your data and programs without having to do it manually. Just put it on DVDs or a hard drive and when your computer explodes you don't have to spend 3 days getting windows and all your programs back.
Between Professional and Ultimate, well the only difference that people who don't run a corperation or speak an impossible number of languages will notice is Bitlocker, an encryption system. To be honest if you've got data worth encrypting then do it on and Ironkey. Use freebie software and you might as well rename the files to "Take me, I will give you lots of money and a doughnut."
The only people who would buy Windows 7 Ultimate are people who want to say "Hey look, I have Windows 7 Ultimate" But then again it will only be about £20 more than professional.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

OK thanks.
Professional it is.
I have XP Pro now, and I like the freedom I have as admin (the only user on the pc's). I imagine a home version would have lots of settings pre-set by microsoft, because they don't trust my home competence. So that means I must be a professional  8)
Howgh!

PG

Always good for the old ego. :D That's one thing I've always hated about Windows though, they tailor it completely towards hiding stuff from the idiots. I used to work for a PC retailer and the number of complete muppets who buy a computer and don't even know which end you're supposed to look at is unbelievable. I think people should have to take an aptitude test before they're allowed to own a PC. The first question should be, 'Are you considering buying a laptop or netbook?'. If they answer Yes then throw them out of the store.
Anyway, so I hate how Microsoft enfore user accounts on us even if you're the only user. No one ever touches my pc except me, so why do I have to protect my files from being interfered with by other users? I might go and look for a program or something to remove it.

neuspadrin

I found windows 7 to run great.  I only had some wireless driver issues awhile ago but im sure if i was still running it would be working by now.  And thats not microsofts fault, thats intels ;)

but as an os in general, i liked it a lot.  personally i like vista too and don't see what all the fuss was about it as with a few tweaks it runs great :P.

basically 7 just what vista shouldve been at launch ;)

Mohawk20

Quote from: PG on August 04, 2009, 05:38:48 PM
Anyway, so I hate how Microsoft enfore user accounts on us even if you're the only user. No one ever touches my pc except me, so why do I have to protect my files from being interfered with by other users? I might go and look for a program or something to remove it.

I fixed that on install.
If you do a fresh installation of XP, when you come to the part where you are forced to create an account, reset the pc without continuing, and you will have no account whatsoever, except for the admin. I found this out when I accidentally touched the reset button with my knee while installing XP  :o 8)
Howgh!

PG

HANG ONN!!!  :o Dang. I just finished installing 600GB worth of games.

mr-miley

Use Windows 7. The best thing Microsoft has done for years (excepth their hardware of course. How can a company that makes such excellent hardware create so many crap OS's?) I have been using the Final RC since the day after it was released, on my WORK PC!! and I haven't had a minutes problem with it. The install is just a dream, even my 7 year old scanner and a couple of old printers were installed without it asking for a single disk. It even joined our network for me, and I hadn't even realised it had done it. Definately what Vista should have been.

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Mohawk20

Great!
I downloaded the iso. Now I have to find a disk to burn it on... haven't used one of those in a while since I have one of those 8Gb usb sticks.
Howgh!

schmeerlap

Quote from: Mohawk20 on August 04, 2009, 06:40:13 PM
I accidentally touched the reset button with my knee while installing XP

I'd love to see a photo of the position you adopt when keying-in / installing stuff.  ;D

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Mohawk20

Quote from: schmeerlap on August 05, 2009, 05:39:16 AM
Quote from: Mohawk20 on August 04, 2009, 06:40:13 PM
I accidentally touched the reset button with my knee while installing XP

I'd love to see a photo of the position you adopt when keying-in / installing stuff.  ;D

John
No you wouldn't  ;)
Nah, this was when I had an old computer case, where the reset button was fairly large and placed very easy to reach... call it a design flaw.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Does Windows 7 have problems with permissions for the main user?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

Every Windows version on NT technology has. You know the error message you get saying you don't have permission and need to ask the administrator. Even when you're the administrator.

neuspadrin

i dont think i checked when i was running windows 7, someone want to check something for me?

did they finally learn to calculate file transfer/copy/delete times?

10 seconds remaining.... 20 days remaining... 2 seconds remaining (5 minutes later) 2seconds remaining... 5 minutes remaining... 1 second remaining... (finally done)

rcallicotte

I've been the administrator of every machine built since Windows 1, including Windows 3.11, NT, etc. and have never seen the debacle of Vista at any time (not giving the local administrator access, for example).  

As the local administrator of a server, you don't get messages like that.  Windows 2003, for example, gives a local administrator all of the rights necessary to do anything administrative including installation and configuration.  Rights can be complicated, but once someone is the local administrator of a machine, they should be able to do anything.

Here are some tidbits - http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/11464.html

So, Mohawk, does Windows 7 have these same problems?

Quote from: PG on August 05, 2009, 09:04:49 AM
Every Windows version on NT technology has. You know the error message you get saying you don't have permission and need to ask the administrator. Even when you're the administrator.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?