I'm Back, answering questions about Windows 7 ;p

Started by Mohawk20, August 04, 2009, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Well, I have to install it first, and that's the first problem!
At least, it's really slow in starting up... I burned the iso on a DVD+RW, and booted from CD-ROM. Windows was reading files, and after a while Windows was starting, at least that's what the screen said. But after the blue background showed up, nothing happened for more than 5 minutes. So I reset the pc. Same thing.

So I left it running and started typing this post on the other pc, to ask if anyone else had to wait this long. But in the mean time the installation wizard has started, so not a big problem, just impatience.
Howgh!

mr-miley

LOL From what I could work out when I did it, Windows install procedure seems to gather virtually ALL its info before starting, instead of previous versions where they whold then start asking you a million questions as the last part of the setup.  ;D
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

rcallicotte

Thanks Mohawk for sharing your experience.  I'm curious about the administrative headaches it might cause you, if any.

Mr. Miley, thanks for explaining about that.  I had no idea and now I'm liking Windows 7 a little better.  Jury is still out for me, though.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

When I run into something I'll let you know here right away.

Something I haven't checked yet: My brother said Win 7 has some issues with Firefox, resulting in browser crashes. Those issues might be fixed though...
Howgh!

efflux

I may well be using this.

I intend to build a new computer soon. 3D Coat is out for Linux now so that pushes the idea ahead. It will be a 64 bit dual core Ubuntu system. However, TG2 will be better on Windows rather than Wine so I may have to dual boot.

Mohawk20

So far Firefox is running fine, so no problems there.
Mostly the problems installing software might be because of the 64-bit nature of the OS. A side-to-side configuration error, and Java JRE not being able to unpack all it's data.

Meanwhile, TG2 is rendering fine, being able to render my last scene a lot bigger without error with this extra RAM!
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Good to hear, Mohawk.  Keep us posted, if you have the time.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Sure!

I'm now installing Microsoft Visual C 2008.
After that dotnet 3.5.

I hope stuff wil install better after that...
Howgh!

PG

You get .net 3.5 included in Windows 7. Visual Studio 2008 works in 7 so VC should too.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

Yeah?
Well, I tried installing .net 3.5 SP1, and it failed with the message that is was lacking language packs. So I should install those first or something. A strange error message for something allready installed right?
And when I wanted to install the demo of 3DsMax 2010, I got this side-by-side configuration error, which means I dont have some dll's needed. I thought the dll I needed was msvcr90.dll. Looks to me like Visual C Runtime 9, also called 2005, but I was wrong. I can't find out what the problem is with this sxsconfig error...

Strangeness.
Howgh!

PG

3.5 SP1 is included in Windows 7 already ref: Windows 7 is final and includes .net 3.5 SP1

Not sure about 3DS max though, Microsoft Office 2007 tends to screw up certain DLLs, if you have that installed already try uninstalling it and then installing 3DS max.

Mohawk20

Nope, I have a very bare system so far...
I'll try some more Google.
Howgh!

neuspadrin

Have you tried running the installer on a compatibility mode or anything? Sometimes that sort of thing does the trick.

also for any driver issues, often you can just steal the latest version of vista drivers and run them instead on 7.  depends on the driver though.  but when i first tried 7 a few months back my video drivers for 7 were pretty bad by default and kept crashes, i used vista ones and they were a lot more stable.  though by now a lot of vendors have stepped up getting decent 7 drivers out.

PG

Yeah I think nVidia and Creative hooked onto that. Their Vista and Windows 7 drivers are the same.

neuspadrin

Yeh thankfully i dont think windows did too much in the backend driver wise, which is good so there wont be another fiasco with drivers like vista was when it launched.  That was like half the problem at launch, horrible drivers were available.