Terrain problem

Started by Viktim, August 21, 2009, 07:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viktim

Hi

I have a problem when adding power fractal. First i opened "Procedural Grass - by dandelO" from "dandelO's Public Library vol.1" and then the first thing i did was deleting the fractal terrain. Then i generated a new terrain on the highfield shader and used painting shader to fix it more. But when i add a Power fractal(i want mountains in the background) the whole "highfield area" gets covered with water and mountains and the scene looks completely different. This has never happened before, the power fractal always stays "outside" the Highfield area.

Any idea of what im doing wrong? 

granit

Matt

You will get the effect you want if you move the heightfield shader after (below) the fractal shader. That means that the heightfield shader will overlay the fractal shader and be able to set the heights directly. This causes the fractal shader to only show outside the heightfield. You can use the Move Up and Move Down buttons on the terrain list to rearrange the order of these shaders.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Viktim

Hi matt

Thats where the problem is. Even though i move the power fractal shader up the whole scene get covered by water

Here is the .tgd file(for some reason you have to generate the terrain everytime you open it)

Granit

Matt

The blend shader blends away not only the heightfield elevation but also the heightfield's ability to replace any previous displacements. Where you have dark parts of your painted shader, they are not saying to use lower elevations, they are saying to apply the heightfield shader less strongly.

You can solve this problem by using another heightfield shader to set your base altitude for the local area. It could just be a flat heightfield with only 1 x 1 pixels. After that, you'd apply your main heightfield which uses the painted shader as a blend shader.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Viktim

Thank you very much matt, it worked!