Just a few steps ... to procedural craters ...

Started by Volker Harun, August 23, 2009, 03:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

@darthvader ... me, too ;)

@falcon ... In fact, I am thinking of a simple crater shader, which can be downloaded from NWDA for free. It will have less masks and will not include the following:

At the moment a testrender is going for the warper, which gives some distortions to the shape of the craters ... accordingly there will be the possibility to 'randomize' the rims' appearance and displacement parameters ... And of course, I am trying to give you some presets ;D

Volker

cyphyr

Astonishing and synchronous :)
I knew it could be done and in fact that was my next endeavor after finishing the procedural planet :)
Thankyou
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Volker Harun

Dam*%& .... The craters got an infection with amoebiae ...  ;)  ;D ;D

domdib

Now that is a seriously interesting looking terrain - and the surface shader is lovely too.

Volker Harun

Here is a preview of a simplified crater function, I just dropped it onto a simple fractal terrain.
It might be available soon. Just needs a checkup, clearance and documentation (maybe) ;D

Volker

Tangled-Universe

The principle looks good so far!
How does it look when you make a huge crater? Like half the size of the mountains in the background for example and make it intersect with the mountain.

Cheers,
Martin

littlecannon

Hi Volker... Top stuff. My brother asked the other day if it was possible to randomly spray craters anywhere, to which I said "no, not at the moment"... It seems that all our minds are inter-connected in some way... Crater on. ;D

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

Volker Harun

@TU: They just blend with the terrain ... when using a displacement along normal, you might encouter very distorted displacements. I recommend to use a vertical displacement.
Nonetheless a matter of taste.

@Simon: In fact, two years ago, Efflux and me were already quite close to the solution.

Henry Blewer

This crater function would be great. I've tried to make a cratered moon, but became frustrated trying to get the craters placed. (Gave up at number 8) A procedural node clip would be super.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

tee

Don't log on for a day and look what happens something gets invented, cool stuff

Henry Blewer

I noticed that also. I missed a fifteen hour stretch. It took me almost an hour to get caught up. I have bookmarked several threads to go back to. It's like taking several college level majors at once. Cloud theory, landscape 101, 202, and 303, function derivatives, and water dynamics. All cool stuff.

acolyte

So what's going on with this one? Volkor, can you post your setup so I can figure out how to use these craters on my project?

acolyte

VOLKER, PLEASE UPDATE AND RELEASE!!! :)

I really need this for a project and I'm at a stopping point until I can figure this out. I tried going in last night and messing around with the Voronoi stuff I could find in the function nodes but couldn't get anything to work? Anyone have any clue as to how Volker is doing this? I would just wait for a commercial release on NWDA but I need to get going on this. Thanks guys!

Henry Blewer

Volker comes and goes here. When he's posting, he puts up dazzling images and confounds us with his use of function nodes. Then you don't hear from him in a while. He is a very busy man.

If you need a large group of craters, I would make a very large grey shade image map. The depths would be controlled by the whiteness of the 'craters' A second image map could be used to make the rim displacements and mound debris where you think it looks right. Further displacement could be made using power fractals using just the rims of the first image map as a mask to control where the displacement would be. Similar methods are used by other 3D apps. I'll help as I can.

acolyte

Thanks njeneb, you are a life saver! I'm a 3d modeler, so i'm fairly familiar with mapping and masks, but what has baffled me for the past few weeks is how to connect the nodes properly in Terragen. So what i'm gathering from what you said, is to just make some basic grayscale height maps and save them out as targas or something like that and plug them into a displacement shader? I'm still a little confused as to whether I need to do a heightfield or a shader setup. I would prefer the craters to be generated procedurally, but if i'm painting a map this won't be the case, right? So in essence, I would have to paint a map large enough to cover the entire planet if I wanted them everywhere, correct? Any help you could provide in regards to a simple explanation of the node connections would be greatly appreciated for these kinds of craters. :)