I'm Back, answering questions about Windows 7 ;p

Started by Mohawk20, August 04, 2009, 04:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PG

No that's right. Microsoft changed the format of drivers to WDDM rather than WDM from XP so manufacturers had to learn a completely new way of making drivers, and the DDK changed dramatically. Windows 7 still uses WDDM.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mohawk20

I got this '0xc000007b' error when trying a 3ds Max install that I finally managed to install. No luck yet finding out how to deal with it, but I'm definitely considering Blender 64-bit now. Once I get the hang of the viewport navigation I should at least be able to create some simple stuff.
Howgh!

PG

The error means that it can't initialize, but apparently it is frequently caused by viruses. The WORM_KLEZ.E in particular. Try a virus scan, if that doesn't find anything then download the Malicious software removal tool

Mohawk20

Don't have a virusscanner installed yet. But I can't imagine that one would have infested already...
Howgh!

PG

Can do. Most of the security software companies estimate unprotected users getting infected within 15 minutes. Although that could be to sell products, but they do release the source of their findings, so it must have some weight.

neuspadrin

Thats why first thing i do is firewall->antivirus-> then plug in internet -> get firefox -> run updates.

Mohawk20

OK, it's been a loooong time since my last visit here...
For some reason I can't make the time to check out the forums here anymore.

Anyways, Win 7 is running fine, no more problems, except fore some stupid empty folder I can't remove because of lack of authorization (?!)...
I'm currently doing an anim in my last scene that I entered in the NWDA contest, only set at night with fairies flying around.
Still in test phase, only 30 frames in 2 versions.
You'll be hearing from me in another thread soon I guess.

Howgh!

Mohawk20

Well, here's more news about Win 7...
It died!

The disk it was installed on (granted it was my smallest, oldest IDE hard drive) just died. When I got home the screen was black and there was this distinct clicking noise coming from one of the drives.

There's not much lost as the disk contained only the windows install. All Program Files were installed on another drive, as is all my TG work. But that's unavailable now, until I install Windows again on another drive, preferably a new one.
So in the mean time the only projects you'll see from me are new ones, as the running projects are unavailable.

But I don't think Windows 7 is to blame, so I will continue to test it with a new installation.
The only downside to the OS is that I've been unable to install PhotoShop CS4 (not even a fresh trial version downloaded from the Adobe site). But that seems to be system related as well, so maybe a new hard drive will fix that as well...
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Sorry to hear about your troubles.  Hope you're up and running in no time.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

Biggest problem is that I'm away tomorrow, so first chance I'll have to buy a new disk is Monday...
Howgh!