Godrays experiments

Started by Rhalph, September 25, 2009, 02:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Rays can also be cast in the atmosphere if raytraced shadows is enabled there.

- Oshyan

himalofa

Crepuscular Rays is the word. They have nothing to do with gods of any variety except possibly Thor or Zeus.

Rhalph

I'll have to seriously think about what render I want to do, cause RArcher just made *the* render I dreamed of. Except the rays, which should just be a matter of a parameter to check...

Seth

Quote from: Rhalph on September 28, 2009, 02:00:14 AM
I'll have to seriously think about what render I want to do, cause RArcher just made *the* render I dreamed of. Except the rays, which should just be a matter of a parameter to check...

;D

Seth

Quote from: himalofa on September 27, 2009, 08:02:46 PM
Crepuscular Rays is the word. They have nothing to do with gods of any variety except possibly Thor or Zeus.

mmmh... very interesting comment...

Rhalph

Quote from: Seth on September 28, 2009, 02:00:43 AM
Quote from: Rhalph on September 28, 2009, 02:00:14 AM

;D

That's not funny ;D
I have to find a way to create an original render that I'm proud of, without feeling that it's a copy of RArcher/Digital Blasphemy renders ^^'
Aaaargh.

Tangled-Universe

I wouldn't mind that too much. If the idea is appealing to you and if it is also a challenge, why not?
Probably along the proces of design you might run into "original" ideas anyway.

Martin

Henry Blewer

It will be your work, your slant. If you want to do it, do it. I will look forward to seeing it. 8)
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

RArcher

I think your rays render is great.  The beams are crisp and fantastic.  Some additional trees, grasses and details and this will be your own unique beast.  Lots of rendering in a community like this one is going to be similar and goes in cycles.  Someone will create a great canyon scene and then for the next few weeks everyone tries their hand at it, but they all end up different and unique in their own ways.  I really wouldn't worry that your render is not perfectly unique (as I really don't think this is possible) and instead focus on what you want it to be, it will be no less spectacular for being "just another forest render with rays."

Keep going with your concept, I for one am very much looking forward to seeing it.

Tangled-Universe

Or make a blend of rays within forest canyon, like I'm doing now :)
Though my rays are very subtle (softshadows of radius 1 is the reason probably).

Rhalph

Okay, I'll try to make my own one, thank you for your encouragements :)

RArcher, I'm still looking forward to see your render with rays :P

MacGyver

Quote from: Rhalph on September 29, 2009, 06:24:22 AM
Okay, I'll try to make my own one, thank you for your encouragements :)

RArcher, I'm still looking forward to see your render with rays :P

Looking forward to both yours and RArchers render :D
What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

MGebhart

I have been keeping up with this Topic and thought I would give it a shot.

I used the suggestions and recommendations and found them to work well. I needed to make small tweaks and preview renders to finally get what I wanted.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Henry Blewer

I this case raytraced shadows in the cloud layer would help. The sun is cutting through your cloud.
Except for that, it is pretty good. I think I would increase the edge setting on the cloud layer.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Mr_Lamppost

I made some experiments a long while back when I was trying to get shafts of sunlight to shine through the windows into a room.  It is definitely possible to get rays from objects using just the atmosphere but the atmosphere samples required and hence the render time is prohibitively high.  The thin cloud layer method is much quicker and produces much better results.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.