Interesting Texture Sucker

Started by rcallicotte, February 20, 2007, 04:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Not sure how else to describe this. 

Scenario - one planet and one object (a small moon).  Both are textured.  The moon is one moon of the planet (Phobos) and in this case needs to be very close to the planet (Mars).

Problem - when Phobos is next to Mars, Phobos loses its texture completely in the render.  If I move Phobos back away so that it is too far to be realistic, I get my texture of Phobos back.

The workaround for this was to render each separately and put them together in Photoshop.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

3DGuy

The moon doesn't happen to be in the shadow of the planet by any chance when moving it closer??

rcallicotte

No...checked that.

The texture actually disinigrates (sp?)...you know, goes from high detail to zero.

Oshyan

What projection type are you using on the moon? If it's Spherical, you would need to change the position of the texture to match the changed position of the moon/planet object. If it's Through Camera you'd need to move the camera that is projecting it.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan - I thought I checked everything when the texture was moved, but if it doesn't sound like anyone else having this problem it must be something like you've explained.  I was tired then, so it's possible you hit it on the head.