A Get Started Terragen 2 Tutorial for the Terrified

Started by schmeerlap, October 09, 2009, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Falco

Quote from: schmeerlap on October 12, 2009, 05:08:03 AM
Rmember, anytime you're stuck with anything in your scene-building endeavours, don't hesitate to ask here at this forum. There's a lot of guys here who know a lot more about TG2 than yours truly, who will be only too happy to attempt to resolve your TG2 problems.

Will do. And thanks for the tutorial btw.

DigitalFear

Thanks for this; hopefully the learning curve isn't as steep as the mountain ;D

Puns rule.

choronr

John, thank you. You have widened my TG2 tunnel vision. The tutorial was excellent and helped me a lot. The attached file is the results.

Bob

schmeerlap

Looks like you picked a good ole Scottish driech day to climb McDuff. I'm hearby declaring it to be over 3000 ft, so you've bagged your first Munro, Bob. As I said at ReRo you've got better grass texture than the original. I've just had a word in the ReRo Terragen admin's shell-like about their lengthy pondering over approving / disapproving the tut.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

malakas13

I'm new to terragen and thanks for this nice tutorial.

I'm pretty sure I followed every step exactly as said in the tut but my outcome is nowhere similar to yours.
Maybe by taking a look you could say where i screwed up.

schmeerlap

Quote from: malakas13 on October 15, 2009, 12:02:20 PM
I'm pretty sure I followed every step exactly as said in the tut but my outcome is nowhere similar to yours.
Maybe by taking a look you could say where i screwed up.
It's not that different. Check your Render > Effects tab settings for gamma and contrast, decreasing the gamma setting and/or increasing the contrast setting will give the scene better definition. I always take my renders post Terragen into an image editing application like Photoshop where I adjust Levels, and sometimes Curves to give a faded render more pop. Maybe also add another Surface Layer for more varied grass colours. But overall your result is good.

John

domdib

And you might want to reduce haze a little - the default setting is usually too high. The grass shader could do with being a little less bright.

mcmiller

Thanks for doing this. It helped shed some light on how to work some of the nodes and eliminate some of my trepidation with some of the functions.

schmeerlap

Quote from: mcmiller on November 08, 2009, 11:16:00 PM
It helped . . . some . . . some . . . some . . . some .
I couldn't help noticing (and smiling at) this cautious approval for a qualified learning experience.  ;) That's encouraging, though, as "some" is better than none.
The more you play and tinker with TG2, the more confident you will become.
Here's hoping you soon get your second wind on your ascent up the learning curve.

John

MGebhart

John,

I revisited your tutorial again and spent the time doing it. The first time I just read the material. As you can see from the image I deviated a little on certain settings.

Well done young man.

This document is excellent for us new Terragen 2 users.

Thanks,

Marrc
Marc Gebhart

schmeerlap

Quote from: MGebhart on November 11, 2009, 07:00:54 AM
I deviated a little on certain settings.

Absolutely no problem with that, Marcc. I like deviation. And I like your version of Ben McDuff.

Quote from: MGebhart on November 11, 2009, 07:00:54 AM
young man.

You're right; after all, Israel is generally considered to be a young country.  :)

John

Fabian

This is one of the best beginners guide. It demonstrates, how easy you can get some great result with Terragen 2 in no time. :)
DFI Lanparty DK 790 FX-B
AMD Phenom II X4 940 4x 3 Ghz
OCZ 8GB Platinum DDR2 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 4890
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

avkhatri

what are some color values to make natural looking grass?

choronr

Quote from: avkhatri on November 25, 2009, 08:30:24 PM
Try 113-132-70 for the lighter color; and, 36-39-17 for the darker color.

inkydigit

Quote from: avkhatri on November 25, 2009, 08:30:24 PM
I always find that actually, and contrary to what you might think, when producing 'nice greens'...I always add more red and less green values than I expected!