Red River Area WIP

Started by RArcher, November 23, 2009, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

Quote from: FrankB on November 24, 2009, 12:33:10 PM
Quote from: inkydigit on November 24, 2009, 11:21:08 AM
..what about an easy tutorial? hint hint!!

what about this http://www.archer-designs.com/tutorials.php

:)

Frank
thanks Frank, I knew of these, but was interested more in the masks and layout of the fields and the river...I will re-read the tutorial and see where I get!
:)

PorcupineFloyd

This is simply fantastic stuff! I'd also like to see a mini-tutorial on using masks in Terragen.

Those pictures seem super-digital to me. I like this appearance but I'd add some fuzziness in Photoshop if I were going for natural look. A slight (very slight) blurring and perhaps some very slight glare for example. Other than that - top notch.

ra

Impressive work all over! However on the first render the paths really seem to be just painted. Anyways, just a small detail  ;D
Mouthwash? We don't need no stinking mouthwash!! [MI2]
See what I see: www.earthlings.com
http://dinjai.deviantart.com

RArcher

Thanks guys, all your suggestions are great and I will try and work them all in.

Dune, that is a really nice image you have going on there.  Lots of life and little details which my renders typically lack.  Thanks for the tip about reducing the size of the masks, it should help with the memory issues.  Right now there are two populations of wheat, but I disable one and increase the spacing of the other for the aerial shots.  For the ground shots I limit the wheat instances depending on how far you can see in the distance.

There will be no tutorial for at least a while.  I'm still not comfortable enough with the masking and blending to be able to write anything worth reading.  Hopefully by the time this project is done I will be.

Kadri

This looks already impressive , Ryan.
I am curiously waiting for the next renders  :)

Kadri.

ThinkPink

*gulp* .... unbelievable ......

littlecannon

Superb Ryan.... Liking the first and third ones best, almost photo quality.
Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

choronr

Brilliant work Ryan; you've furthered the potential of this amazing program. And, have fired up many inspirations.

Zairyn Arsyn

WOW. this really really cool.  8) 8) 8) :)
i've been wondering when i would see more of this this sort of thing done in TG2
one of these days i may try something similar.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

Kevin F

These are really amazing Ryan. The potential for further development is immense.
The only "faults" I see are the usual ones of ray traced images i.e. everything is too clean and perfect making things almost unreal.
Brilliant images non the less.

I do wish though that somebody (ahem, hint hint, nudge nudge, Ryan) would make a tutorial or even a few detailed examples of how you use masking techniques.
I've never fully understood the principles of this way of working.

tee

Ditto to others comments, really beautiful work.

Dune

Actually masking is not that difficult. If you have a terrain of a certain ratio, just make the mask the same ratio (paint in PS over an aerial photo or so, greyscale, safe as TIF or so). Make it smaller if less detail is needed (distribution of trees e.g.), but keep the ratio. Make an image map shader and import the mask, set to Y, fill in the size of the terrain, and use as a blend shader for whatever.
You can put several masks next to each other or over each other, as long as you find out the coordinates and ratio's. Use them to displace certain parts of terrain (before compute terrain, or for minor displacement in the shader department), or use it to color areas. Hope this helps.

---Dune

rcallicotte

Spectacular lighting, Ryan.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Henry Blewer

I used to make a large square render in orthographic projection from directly overhead. Adding some boxes or sphere objects at known intervals can help with scale. Then just paint a new layer with the mask you need. Save just the layer mask as an image.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T