2.1 Render detail discrepancy...

Started by dandelO, December 16, 2009, 10:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

Basically you don't need to make any changes to your scene (object) setups, it's just that instead of rendering with displacement, objects (using raytraced rendering) render with bump mapping. You use the same images and node connections.

- Oshyan

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on December 17, 2009, 02:54:54 AM
Quote from: Dune on December 17, 2009, 02:48:35 AM
What was that about using bump maps/functions, TU? You mean inserting a bump map for displacement inside an object will get it bumped when ray-traced? I'll check that anyway. Some close-up trees (e.g.) would need a little roughness. I tried getting frost on grass leaves by inserting a small sized fractal (displaced), but it didn't have the result I hoped for, although it did roughen the white.

---Dune

If I understood correctly you can't displace the objects anymore when using the raytracer for rendering the objects, instead you can use imagemaps or fractals to create a bumpfunction to mimic displacement/added geometry. The roughness obtained is "fake" (in terms of geometry) but it will probably give a better look as if it is really displaced.

You should be able to find some more info about this on the dev forum. If I find it I'll PM it to you.

Martin

Is it a secret or something? It would be nice if everyone had this info.
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

buzzzzz1

Quote from: Oshyan on December 17, 2009, 03:51:17 AM
Basically you don't need to make any changes to your scene (object) setups, it's just that instead of rendering with displacement, objects (using raytraced rendering) render with bump mapping. You use the same images and node connections.

- Oshyan

So what you are saying is we do nothing different other than checking "Ray Trace Objects"  ?
XFX 750i SLI  nFORCE Mobo
Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz Wolfdale
8 Gig Corsair DDR2 6400
Nvidia GForce 9600 GSO 768 MB
XP Pro 64 bit OS

dandelO

Quote from: Matt on December 16, 2009, 01:00:30 PM
When you enable ray trace objects the following types of objects are rendered using ray tracing:

Grass Clump
LWO Reader
OBJ Reader
Rock
TGO Reader

They are optimised for ray tracing, and optimised for rendering in populations with or without ray tracing.

All the other object types are rendered using the micropolygon renderer so that displacements are rendered correctly and efficiently:

Disc
Lake
Plane
Planet
Sphere

However, if you enable ray trace everything, these displacement-friendly objects take longer to render and their displacements are rendered at a lower detail.

(Edit: Lake is one of the displacement-friendly objects)

Hmmm, this is interesting, I forgot about the rock object simply because it couldn't be displaced without fracturing. Now that it's ray traced and that bump mapping can be applied, these fractures shouldn't happen anymore, right? So we can now use bumpy rocks?

I'd test it but I'm not able to right now, I will later if there's no reply before I'm back at the computer...

*I changed the thread title to 'discrepancy'. The original post was wrongly typed 'discrapancy'! Look at the replies. :D

Matt

Quote from: dandelO on December 17, 2009, 10:17:39 AM
Hmmm, this is interesting, I forgot about the rock object simply because it couldn't be displaced without fracturing. Now that it's ray traced and that bump mapping can be applied, these fractures shouldn't happen anymore, right? So we can now use bumpy rocks?

Yes, that should work.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

dandelO

Confirmed.

Ray traced internal rock objects now accept procedural displacements(or at least, the displacement function of their shader can use procedural data) without fracturing. :)

Fantastic! ;D

Oshyan

Quote from: buzzzzz1 on December 17, 2009, 09:31:49 AM
Quote from: Oshyan on December 17, 2009, 03:51:17 AM

- Oshyan

So what you are saying is we do nothing different other than checking "Ray Trace Objects"  ?
Yes, exactly. And, as dandelO discovered, a nice side-effect is that objects that previously "exploded" with displacement can now have some extra detail applied without that problem. Of course displacement is lost on objects that do need it, but we'll work on getting that back in.

- Oshyan