TG2 Crash when Animating (Crashing when Scrubbing or playing Timeslider)

Started by D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet), December 18, 2009, 02:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

I am animating a simple scene with a cumulus cloud layer, and that's it.  I have found that I need to save very frequently, because TG2 will inevitably crash when scrubbing through frames while the render camera is selected.  This also happens less frequently when playing the animation.   The animation is a simple 900 frame camera animation flying above some cumulus clouds.  TG2 renders the animation fine without crashing, it's just when in the process of setting keys and scrubbing back and fourth to check the motion of the camera.

Is this a known issue?  It happens to me running TG2 2.1 and older versions under Windows XP, Vista, and Win 7.  I have plenty of Memory (8GB) as well.

I've been able to work around this by just saving a lot, but it would be nice if TG2 was more stable while animating.  I'll do some more testing.  I am curious if it happens when there are no clouds in the scene.

Thanks for any help.

cyphyr

This has been an occasional frustration for me too. I believe it to be a display driver / display memory issue but am by no means certain. My solution is to not scrub the time line and do as much as possible of my animating in Lightwave.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Odd, I haven't had these problems and have been tinkering with animation quite a lot. What graphics cards (and driver versions) do you both have?

- Oshyan

cyphyr

None, at the moment, since my main rig is busted :( It was an NVidia 7920. Building a new rig after the holidays (when hopefully the i7's drop in price ) and I'll let you know how the animation scrubbing works then.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Zairyn Arsyn

i have a Geforce 8800gt...
i have gotten this crash too during the times i have tried creating animated scenes

I'll be getting a Geforce GTX 275 (1792mb ver.) soon, i wonder if that would change anything.
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

Quote from: Oshyan on December 19, 2009, 10:35:57 PM
Odd, I haven't had these problems and have been tinkering with animation quite a lot. What graphics cards (and driver versions) do you both have?

- Oshyan

I have been using all Nvidia graphics cards.  I get the same crashing behavior with the Nvidia 295 GTX, GeForce 7300 GT, and on the Nvidia NVS 290.  I am also always up to date on the latest drivers.  This issue happens under XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

Oshyan

Interesting, so it's really across the board. I've got mostly Nvidia graphics cards too, but don't seem to have problems. I'll see if I can test this a bit more...

- Oshyan