ArtistX live free audio,2D , 3D graphics, and video software for the GNU/Linux.

Started by Kadri, December 22, 2009, 11:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I tried Linux in the past . Every time i had problems. But with each try the problems were getting smaller.
I made a boot dvd with ArtistX live and didn't have much problem .
The worst was that i couldn't setup the live version permanently on HD .
But maybe if i have time and look around there is a solution for this.

The programs are encouraging in there . I did not have time to try all of them.
All of them are free of course (i think)  :)

Did any of you tried this or some other similar package ? What do you think?

http://www.artistx.org/site2/

Cheers.

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Kadri

Quote from: TheBlackHole on December 22, 2009, 06:19:43 PM
Is there a Windows version?

These are linux live distributions . If you know them  you can boot direct from dvd and use the programs in there.
If you wish you can install  permanently too.

There are many small and big software in the packages . Not all have windows variants  . But some have .
So you have to look which  one  you want TheBlackHole  :)

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

All the 3D apps were either POV-Ray modelers, Blender-related, or non-Windows. :'(
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Kadri

Quote from: TheBlackHole on December 22, 2009, 06:46:09 PM
All the 3D apps were either POV-Ray modelers, Blender-related, or non-Windows. :'(

Don't get me wrong , but you are young and learning Linux and programs like Blender would be easier to you.

I use windows (and before dos) nearly over 20 years . It is not easy for me to adapt to Linux .
But there are really good programs. I am looking especially for video editing programs .
I heard about Cinelerra and such ... Programs like Premiere are too costly for me.

But i think i know how you feel  :)

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

I've tried learning Blender. It was the worst experience of my life! Buttons, toolbars, and menus kept popping up in front of the ones I wanted. Ugh. *shudders* That's why I'm still using Anim8or.

Kadri

Yes i did not like Blenders interface too. I am waiting for the new version . The Alpha is out.
But i don't like alphas . At least when the Beta comes out then maybe i will give it another try once more  :)

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

Blender's interface, it seems, was designed by aliens. Anim8or was acually designed for humans.

Henry Blewer

The only way to learn Blender is to take it one step at a time. But I do agree the interface was designed by Warner Brothers Cartoon Characters.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Kadri

Quote from: njeneb on December 22, 2009, 07:41:17 PM
.... But I do agree the interface was designed by Warner Brothers Cartoon Characters.

LOL  ;D

TheBlackHole

Quote from: njeneb on December 22, 2009, 07:41:17 PM
The only way to learn Blender is to take it one step at a time.
With how many confusing tutorials? Usually I learn the UI by simply playing with it, not by following a tutorial that uses inaccessible features made so by the impossible interface.

pfrancke

I'd love to learn blender -- I keep going back and trying.  For me a book that leads me by the nose is sometimes the only way.  For you TBH -- just keep trying, something will snap into place for you and then there will be no stopping you.  You are young and learn fast.  Probably the only thing you really need to learn is to be a little more patient.  I suspect you learn fast by doing, so just do a little more and you'll nail that beast.  Christmas vacation is here and blender is free - but very powerful.  And then you'll be able to give us all those really cool free objects we all want - <grin>.