Alien Plant (XFrog) UPDATED with TEXTURES

Started by MGebhart, December 29, 2009, 10:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MGebhart

Alien Plant experiment. Update: Textures and with and without fruit.

Marc

http://web.me.com/marcgebhart1/New_Site_Under_Constuction/AlienPlant/AlienPlant.zip
Marc Gebhart

TheBlackHole

For the bottom branches, I suggest some sort of regular bark with a green glow in the cracks. The blue globules could be a transition from the branch textures to a greenish bluish texture. The upper branches could then be the same greenish-bluish texture and the green globs might be covered in some sort of water shader to give the appearance of sacs of stored liquids that burst under pressure thus watering the plant.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

MGebhart

TBH,

If I provided you the .obj file would you like to play around with it?

Marc
Marc Gebhart

TheBlackHole

Cool. I'm working on some image maps. Can you see the envelope under my black hole? If you can't (I've run into some trouble where other users couldn't see it) here's my email:
planetaryproductions@gmail.com
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

MGebhart

No envelope.

I'll email it to you. The subject will be Alien Plant.

It's a .zip at 3.28mb.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Zairyn Arsyn

whoa, i think i'm having a dr seuss moment here...

neat
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBlackHole

Got it! Here's something weird: In Gmail, there's ads on the side and top of the screen. They're just plain text like on Google Search. When I was reading your email, there were ads for actual plants! And here's a famous oddity in Gmail: Above the screen in the Spam folder, there's links to recipes using Spam, and in Trash, there's recycling tips!

MGebhart

Yikes! You may check into gMail to see if they are tagging your email. I have never heard of such a thing. Kinda unsettling.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

TheBlackHole

Uh-oh. Looks like I can't really edit it. Anim8or refuses to write an MTL file for OBJ files and won't export anything with too many faces to 3DS.
And Gmail uses "content-specific" advertising or something. Google does it all the time. They show those in Google search as well as Gmail. Like I should have said, they're not banner ads and they're unobtrusive. All they do is search the email and its subject and the term with the most ads has the ads displayed.
EDIT: Got it working. It looks like the latest beta of Anim8or actually makes the mtl files! ;D

Kadri

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=8343.msg89231#msg89231

Maybe this hasn't to do with this. But i would be more careful , TheBlackHole . Just in case.

Kadri.

TheBlackHole

It does that everywhere. It's Google's main source of income, I think. No ads, no money. No money, no Google.

schmeerlap

Thanks Marc. This'll be very useful, especially if I persevere with alien planet renders.

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Henry Blewer

"Endeavor to persevere." from the Outlaw Jose Wales. ;D
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

TheBlackHole

Wow. I guess I can delete my version then? Then again, I can keep working on my version and release it on this thread... What should I do with my textured version?
Wait a minute... I could texture the "fruits" on my version with my lava shader scaled down and then change the glow to a red color... I might try that.
EDIT: Didn't work. I got six unknown errors. >:( I guess I'll delete my version.

Thelby

Really cool looking plants, will come in handy, many thanks!!!