Free grass!

Started by Costaud, February 11, 2007, 11:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VermilionMartyr

There's no TGD file to post.  I can't get Terragen to import the object...  I save the twig in Bantam as a .obj, and when I try to import the thing to Terragen, I get loads of error messages and it drops me to the desktop.

Mandrake

Ok I see part of the problem that were having. The multishader in terragen is not large enough to handle the obj. On the forth try I got TG2 to recognize the obj after running it through blender. I could then save as a tgo and create this test.
Seem like a very fast way to make some neat grass. Any of you modelers out there know how to tweak the shader in blender or TG2 to lower the #within the multishader.  ??? So adding the obj to TG2 will go smooth.

Oshyan

The multi-shader can handle up to 16 materials. I don't know why grass would have more than 16 materials; it should be quite simple (1 texture is would I'd expect). So are you *sure* it's a multi-shader issue?

- Oshyan

Will

maybe hes talking about the merg shader.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Mandrake

Quote from: Will on February 27, 2007, 04:43:44 PM
maybe hes talking about the merg shader.

Regards,

Will
I guess, no clue on how to model.

neon22

Quote from: Mandrake on February 27, 2007, 03:57:30 PM
Ok I see part of the problem that were having. The multishader in terragen is not large enough to handle the obj. On the forth try I got TG2 to recognize the obj after running it through blender. I could then save as a tgo and create this test.
Seem like a very fast way to make some neat grass. Any of you modelers out there know how to tweak the shader in blender or TG2 to lower the #within the multishader.  ??? So adding the obj to TG2 will go smooth.

Yes I do. so if you drop the obj into the forum - I will convert it and show you how to do it

sonshine777

Quote from: The Geostation on February 27, 2007, 10:45:16 AM
Yep, wierd plant.   The cool thing is that the branches look telescopic  :o

Andrew Randle
The Geostation

It might be a variant of the "FM antenna plant" found only in NY city. ;)

RedSquare

Oshyan -
QuoteI don't know why grass would have more than 16 materials; it should be quite simple

Nor do I, but I have a grass obj with if my memory serves me correctly,  33 mats' the tgd is currently standing at 28Mb.

Whoops I forgot to explain it is for a 'group' of grass, hense the number of mats'.  17 of which of course I cannot yet use.

Mandrake

OK Red Square, your in charge of making grass tgo's
TYVMuch  :P What's going on in your neck of the woods?

Costaud

Here are some grass  ;D

Mandrake

Thanks, check'em out on the morrow, or this weekend..

RedSquare

QuoteOK Red Square, your in charge of making grass tgo's
TYVMuch   What's going on in your neck of the woods?
;D

Not a lot really, waiting for this render to finish been going on 20hrs, you've guessed it, mainly grass.  :D
But I've bungled the foreground, I should have done a crop but thought I knew better. WRONG. Trouble is now 02:11 and another hour to go before it finishes then locks up the beast.  Still at least I can rescue the .bmp from the temporary file listing, later today.  Then I guess repopulate and do a cropped render and then a merge.  Ho hum!  Oh, think I'll pass on your kind offer vv grass tgo's.  ;D

Mandrake

Foreground is or has to be the hardest part.
Make sure I get to see that, Red..
Love ya buddy! Keep up the good work. :)

tl33

free grass????

ill get my coat... :P

sonshine777

Here are a couple of renders that I have done just recently using a grass model I created in XFrog 3.5.

http://www.terranuts.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=25546&limit=recent
http://www.terranuts.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=25538&cat=recent&limit=recent

It is a fairly lage model, the .tgo file is about 10Meg unzipped but it yields fairly good results. One of the things I don't like about the grass clump that comes with TG2 is that it is flat on the bottom, making it hard to get it to fit onto a surface that has been manipulated or tweaked (at least I haven't found a way). The model I created drops down on the edges below the origin point so that the grass always keeps contact with the surface.

Because it is a 3.5Meg zip file here is the link to the file on the Terranuts website

http://www.terranuts.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=505

May your fields of grass be lush and green. :)