red red render error

Started by neon22, March 01, 2007, 04:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon22

In doing my Cave tests - I ran into a number of screwball renders where the whole or part of the image was blown out to red.
attached are two.
I noticed that:
- if I saw a red pixel in the initial GI pass then the image was going to be affected
- but not seeing one was no guarantee that the image would not be red
- initially I assumed it was a memory problem and closed and reopened and setup the tgd again.
   it would generally not blowout twice in a row.
- but I also tried just restarting it and that seemed to avoid the red effect just as often.
- as you can see it happens in localised areas - but I also had one where the entire image was red.

Hope this helps to work out what's causing it.
(I would say its a memory leak somewhere but not just in the GI section - but that's not very helpful is it :-) )

mrwho

yah, i've had that happen too, I was about to make a thread on it ;)  I had it happen once when I tried rendering with no atmospere, and another time with lots of rocks. I couldn't render it any larger than 450 x 350 (or something like that) so I'm not sure if it's a program issue or my computer was being funny

bigben

I have seen this once a while ago in one of my skies, but can't remember the exact circumstances. I do remember, though, that I found an error in my settings that would effectively cause nothing to render in that part of the image so it may be a deliberate feature(?)

old_blaggard

No, all weird coloring in image is a bug right now.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

king_tiger_666

I've had that happen too. I've found that it is a node i have set up causing it, where some settings are wrong or changing camera position slightly seems to fix it
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>

rcallicotte

I think this might be related to GI.  Turn everything in GI to 0 and see what happens.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

This is a known bug that has been covered several times elsewhere on the forums before. Generally it seems to be related to GI so you can try turning both GI detail settings to 0 in the Renderer and see if it goes away. However as has been noted often times simply restarting TG2 or the system can also fix it so if GI is important to your scene, that's a better approach. Certainly this bug will be resolved in the future.

- Oshyan

duff

I have attached a tgd which always seems to render the atmosphere in red. It will render the first cloud layer fine in the quick render, but anything above it is red and the atmosphere will never draw correctly in the preview window. I think I was playing with the atmosphere height just before it occurred if that helps.
After reading several other posts, I have tried turning off GI, changing the enviro light model, turning of enviro lighting, restarting (app and pc) but to no avail. Have I missed a workaround somewhere or is this being caused by a different issue (like user error)?

Oshyan

Hi Duff,

This appears to be an Acceleration Cache issue, which I don't think is necessarily the cause of some other examples of the "red render" problem. In your case the fix is easy - just turn off the Acceleration Cache in the Quality tab of your "Cirrus Layer 01".

- Oshyan

duff

duff

I have attached a updated file with all the caching turned off and I still have a red band. See image.
The tgd should be what I rendered, have I missed something?
If it makes any distance I'm generating the heighfield first.

Oshyan

To be honest I had not tried rendering the complete image, only enough to see that the majority (I assumed all) of the red had gone. If you disable both cloud layers completely does the red go away?

- Oshyan

duff

I removed the cirus layer and all the red apart from a tiny patch in the first cloud layer went.
I am going to start this afresh as the composition wasn't really what I was after anyway just though I'd raise it in case it was an unseen issue.

duff

Some further info..
I just created a new scene and ended up with the same issue.
It would appear to be caused by setting any of the xyz components of the Noise Stretch in a cloud layers density fractal to 0.

Oshyan

Seems like 0 would be an invalid value, assuming it's a baseline multiplier. That would mean the output of the function would be 0, so it's hardly surprising that would cause an error.

- Oshyan