What do you receive when you purchase Terragen 2 with animation?

Started by karmacomposer, January 09, 2010, 01:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karmacomposer

Besides the program, does Terragen 2 come with any presets?  I noticed in the demo you are pretty much on your own.

I am talking about shader presets, terrain presets, example scenes, etc.

Thanks.

Mike

FrankB

At the moment TG2 does not come with presets, other than the core ones which are build into the various shaders, such as 2D vs 3D clouds.

But you may want to have a look into this and this for presets of all sorts.

Cheers,
Frank

cyphyr

There's also stacks of presets in the file sharing section of this forum.
:)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Henry Blewer

There is a lot of very good stuff available in the file section of the forum. Plus, the 'masters' of Terragen 2 have worked on many projects which have a gold mine of information available for reading.

Pick a couple of people here who do stuff you like and follow their various threads. It's an easier way to learn things more consistently than just reading random threads.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

karmacomposer

As it relates to Terragen 2, what is the difference between xfrog plants and plants I have already purchased for Daz/Carrara that I can easily convert to obj, lwo, etc?

Mike

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: karmacomposer on January 09, 2010, 11:47:40 AM
As it relates to Terragen 2, what is the difference between xfrog plants and plants I have already purchased for Daz/Carrara that I can easily convert to obj, lwo, etc?

Mike

You can buy all Xfrog plants in .tgo format at once which are ready to use in TG2.
(see www.xfrog.com)
Other than price the differences are only subjective. Which models do find looking better? Then use/buy those.

karmacomposer

Thank you everyone for answering my obvious noob questions.

I am used to Vue 6 Inifnite, but am sick and tired of the constant crashing.

So, I am turning to Terragen, but it is so darn foreign to me.

For example, how to you place objects in Terragen 2?  In vue, you drag and drop objects, terrains, etc.  Everything is edited on screen.  In Terragen (the demo), I cannot find any way to edit anything on screen.  I cannot place objects (I can load objects, just not place them).  How do you do that in Terragen 2?

If it's not visual, then how to you actively place anything to make a scene?

Mike

cyphyr

Its a lot more numeric than Vue is that's for sure but you get used to that.

In your example of loading an object its not that hard.

Firstly decide where in your scene you want the object to be, then right click on the preview in that location and "copy coordinates"
Now go to your Objects Tab and Load your object, coohse a Tgo, Obj or Lwo file and it will load to the coordinates 0,0,0.
In the objects pannel you will see a readout of the objects position labelled "Translate", to the right of this is a clipboard icon, Cllick on this and select "Paste coordinates".
The object will now be at your selected position on your terrain.
If you want your object in the air do the same and then add a virtical component in the Transform settings.

Hope this helps

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

karmacomposer

I'm more of a visual kind of person.  Copying coordinates is totally non-creative.  Is there any 3rd party software editor that allows you to place objects and create a terragen scene file visually - that you can then import into Terragen for rendering and what not?

Mike

Henry Blewer

Not really. I work quite visually also. When you first began using Vue, how long was it before you did something really 'cool' ? It probably took more than a few sessions to get the hang of the programs interface.

Terragen 2 can be used quite visually. After a while you'll have a feel for how things work. Where to find the shader of other tool you are looking for. When this happens, the program becomes quite intuitive. I actually like the interface of Terragen 2 better than the 'we do it for you' approach Vue uses. I think that Terragen 2 gives me much more control of the image I want to create.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T