XSI to chan

Started by JohnnyBoy, December 30, 2006, 05:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Postglory

It's better if I bake the camera before the export, but only very slightly.

JimB

That makes sense. Glad you got something useable.

You're sure the sliding in the latest video isn't a lag caused by an offset in the comp?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Postglory

I'm not sure what you mean, I'm rendering out of After effects and just using the terragen bmp image sequence and an avi(with alpha) on top, but it does look like some sort of lag.

Hetzen

Terragen's frames start at 1, where as other apps start at zero. That maybe the offset.

Matt

Terragen can render frame 0, or even negative numbers if you don't mind the first digit being turned into a '-' symbol.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Postglory

There is no offset, I tried moving a frame each way.

The only other thing is the image aspect, in the match mover it's 0.563, in XSI it's 0.5626 and in Terragen it's 0.5625, but I wouldn't have thought such a small change in value would give this error as each program is just rounding up in there own way.

JimB

I'd create four small cubes, position each one to sit at the bottom of each chair leg, merge them and export that as an obj. Then import it into TG2 and see if they match. It might be an offset of the camera during export.
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

JohnnyBoy

Glad to see you guys working the issue out. I haven't been able to use xsi since upgrading to Vista - can't justify the money for an upgrade as a hobbyist.

JimB

Johnny, glad you wrote the script in the first place  ;)

By the way, I'm pretty sure I had no problems installing XSI 7 on Vista using the same installer as the one I used on XP. In fact, there were a few features (import formats) on the 32-bit version which were missing from the 64-bit version.
Some bits and bobs

pmetschan

Quote from: JimB on January 30, 2010, 11:02:23 AM

By the way, I'm pretty sure I had no problems installing XSI 7 on Vista using the same installer as the one I used on XP. In fact, there were a few features (import formats) on the 32-bit version which were missing from the 64-bit version.

JimB

Hopefully this isn't out of line, but would you mind bundling up your cube example (xsi scene file and .tgd) to help us dissect what you guys did? I have been through this post several times and am still having trouble.

Thank you.

JohnnyBoy

Quote from: JimB on January 30, 2010, 11:02:23 AM

Actually, I only have XSI 5, and it would install - but not function properly. It's a real shame because it was my favorite 3D software. I haven't tried using it on Win 7 yet, it's worth a shot. :)

Postglory

Hi I know it's been a while but I finally got around to uploading my showreel on youtube and it contains the result of the terragen2 to XSI I was doing for my Uni project.  It's the short part with base jumper on the tower, I used Terragen2 for the background, I know it could have been acheived in an easier way but I there was more to it and I wanted to get to grips with the workflow methods between the 2 apps.  I had to really cut back on the detail in the background due to rendering demands and other projects.  I also used Terragen2 in the hand head shot for the background but this was more of an environment sphere setup.

Well now I have Nukex and am trying to work out the workflow for that.

Regards and thank for all the help especially Jonnyboy.

Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKILGFFbWcQ

Oshyan

Don't be shy, link us to your showreel. ;D

- Oshyan

Postglory

sorry, it's there now.

Oshyan

Looks good. I always like to see breakdowns of scene construction. Would be nice to see it in HD though. :)

- Oshyan