Planet 02 surface limitations?

Started by The Geostation, December 26, 2006, 11:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Geostation

Hi all,

Been experimenting with extenal planets (e.g. adding object "Planet 02").   While the object can be made into a moon, it's seemingly impossible to properly apply a "Planet surface shader" to it.

While the node network won't allow Planet 02 to accept a "Planet surface shader"  or "Planet Atmosphere" (Planet 01 accepts them though), it is possible for the object to reference the "Planet surface shader" from within - however this does not produce the desired result.   Instead, the default continent size makes the total rendering uniformly red.   Reducing the continent size removes the red, makes the planet look empty on the horizon (can see a edge but the inside is not filled with a surface.

Am I doing something wrong?   Or is TG2 currently unable to apply the Planet surface shader to an external planet?

Best regards and Merry Christmas,

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: The Geostation on December 26, 2006, 11:30:59 AM

Instead, the default continent size makes the total rendering uniformly red.   Reducing the continent size removes the red, makes the planet look empty on the horizon (can see a edge but the inside is not filled with a surface.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but I've been trying to create a second planet, generated a heigtfield for it and added a base and first surface shader.

As you can see in the example the surface shaders can be controlled and work, though not really well visible, but it was just a (very) quick setup.
Also mention that the planet 2 shaders do not appear in the shaders section, so you have to manually select and edit them via the node network.

I'm not sure if this will be of any use to you, hopefully it is.

Martin

3DGuy

One quick way to get a second planet with inputs is to go into the nodeview select the planet object and do CTRL+C CTRL+V. You'll get a copy of the first planet to which you can assign shaders as easily as the first one.

Tangled-Universe

Yup, that's how I did it too mainly...

3DGuy

Well having said that simple copy option I've run into something. Adding a planet surface shader. Moving the second planet away from the center seems to have a weird effect on that shader creating a sort of explosion effect.

The Geostation

Thanks for the reply Tangled-Universe.   I'll give that approach a try.   The difficulty was trying to add a Planet Surface Shader to the secondary planet - it turned the entire render completely red (even with the planet sufficiently far away).

Andrew Randle
The Geostation
Andrew Randle
The Geostation

Oshyan

I believe there are currently some issues involving the single coordinate origin point and large scale objects. This may be specific to the Planet Surface Shader as the default Power Fractal does work with additional planets. It may be possible to use a Planet Surface Shader with the original default planet and then create a second planet with regular surfacing which you can view the other planet from. As long as the original planet stays at its origin point I think it would work better.

These issues will be worked on, of course.

- Oshyan