Asteroids

Started by kepler, December 22, 2006, 06:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kepler

Can someone explain me how to create an asteroid, with no atmosphere, an irregular shape and a lot of craters :)
For example like that seen in the "Mars Animation" preview on the TG2 home-page.
Should I start from a planet object? ???

3DGuy

You mean something like this?

If so I've put up the tgd file here

fmtoffolo

reading this post make me wanna try it out

i just used a sphere with displacement, keeping everything simple, made a quick render just to see how it looks like

Just add a sphere via the object tab and and displace it via the surface shader

My Terragenn site
www.cgworlds.com.ar

kepler

fmtoffolo, can you send me you .tgd file, or make a little step-by-step? I can't understand what exactly do ???
Thank you for your help

kepler

I'm sorry, only now I have seen the file linked by 3DGuy; it's really simple, the only thing to do it's crete a Power Fractal Shader v3. Thank you for your help! :D

BPauba

I know a couple of celestial artists that would love some high resolution textured asteroids ;)

mt_sabao

Quote from: 3DGuy on December 22, 2006, 01:13:34 PM
You mean something like this?

If so I've put up the tgd file here

3DGuy i've been looking into your file and it seems very clear what's going on. Specifically, the Power Fractal into the compute terrain. The feature scale in the scale tab and the Displacement Amplitude in the Displacement Tab seem to drive the distortion in the overall spherical structure of the "planet".
Nevertheless, i can't seem to do this in a file from scratch. Here's what i do:
-Creat new scene.
-Delete atmosphere node
-Delete the heightfield nodes
-Creat a Powerfractal node  3, connect the output to the Compute Terrain
-Set scale in the scale tab to around 6000 (the planet radius)
-Set the Displacement Amplitude in the Displacement Tab to around the planet radius

But then, i still get a pretty spherical planet! Is there anything that i need to change?

Thank you in advance for any help!
Cheers
Luis

3DGuy

Take a look at the radius setting of the planet object. I've made the planet alot smaller  ;) In that particular case I set the radius to 6000 instead of the default 6378000 (i.e. 6.378e+006)

mt_sabao

Quote from: 3DGuy on December 26, 2006, 03:06:59 PM
Take a look at the radius setting of the planet object. I've made the planet alot smaller  ;) In that particular case I set the radius to 6000 instead of the default 6378000 (i.e. 6.378e+006)

you...you...sneaky bastard!
8)
Thanks man, forgot to check that, makes sense!
Cheers
Luis

FrankThomas

Works like a charm apart from having to recenter the thing and zoom in a bit :)

moodflow

Ok, I made an asteroid using a sphere and then adding power fractal as a surface shader.  Now, how would one color the asteroid, or better yet, add an image file.  I know how to add image files to terrains, but b/c its an object, I cannot seem to get the proper options I need to do this.  And the node network seems to be blank, only showing the objects.

http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

FrankThomas

Here's my first asteroid attempt - quite a high res render this one

moodflow

OK, I was able to add an image as the surface of the asteroid.  I had to manually add it via the node network, as there were no options to do so.  I'm glad I have experience with World Machine, as its quite similar.  Though the node based networks are 'ugly', they are powerful!
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

edlo

Quote from: BPauba on December 23, 2006, 06:52:45 PM
I know a couple of celestial artists that would love some high resolution textured asteroids ;)
Nahhh really?  :P

rcallicotte

Good job.  I want to try this, too.

Quote from: FrankThomas on December 26, 2006, 04:07:08 PM
Here's my first asteroid attempt - quite a high res render this one
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?