Animation

Started by AlexelA, February 12, 2010, 06:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

You can animate in TG perfectly, if you have the animation version. Move the camers to your start position, press "set camera" (think that's what the buttons called, the left most beneath the preview window), go to your camera panel, click on the small SA (Set animation key) button on the left by the position and rotation coordinates. Thats your first key frame set. Now move the frame slider to a new frame, say frame 30 and move the camera, "set camera" again, Set animation key again. Keep doing this untill you've finished your camera path. Hope I've explained it ok :)
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

There is no "frame rate" in TG2 since it just renders out a sequence of images. Frame rate is defined when you assemble the images into a movie, not before. You can make up any relation of frame rate to parameter change that you want, so long as you use that same relationship when you do eventually turn it into a movie, e.g. you decide you want to do 30fps, and you want to move 30 meters per second, means you need to move the camera 1 meter per frame in TG2.

Animating the camera is fairly simple, but you do need to remember to press the "Copy this view to the current render camera" (formerly known as "set camera") button. This will take the coordinates that you have moved the camera to in the 3D preview and "set" them as the coordinates for the actual camera. You can then set a keyframe with the animation button. Be sure to move the timeline to the next desired keyframe location before adjusting the camera and setting another keyframe.

When you do animate the camera, if your viewpoint is right you will be able to see the camera path in orange. Note though that if you're only viewing the scene from your keyframed camera, since it is likely traveling forward, you may never see the path in that view as it will be behind you...

If you have any other questions, let us know.

- Oshyan

FrankB

lasty, the video that I made yesterday might help you understand how it's done in the GUI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ULGYzthmc

Seth

Quote from: Oshyan on February 15, 2010, 04:35:27 AM
There is no "frame rate" in TG2 since it just renders out a sequence of images. Frame rate is defined when you assemble the images into a movie, not before. You can make up any relation of frame rate to parameter change that you want, so long as you use that same relationship when you do eventually turn it into a movie, e.g. you decide you want to do 30fps, and you want to move 30 meters per second, means you need to move the camera 1 meter per frame in TG2.

- Oshyan

hehehe right and easy with 30fps and 30m/s ^^
what i meant Oshyan is this : render 100 frames and bink it without touching anything and you get 15 fps. now if you want 25fps (like in TV for example), you have to calculate everything from that basis. and as i said, it is easy with 30fps and 30m/s but you must admit that it is a bit more complicated for 25fps and 10m/s ;)

Kadri

Quote from: Seth on February 15, 2010, 11:01:04 AM
hehehe right and easy with 30fps and 30m/s ^^
what i meant Oshyan is this : render 100 frames and bink it without touching anything and you get 15 fps.
now if you want 25fps (like in TV for example), you have to calculate everything from that basis. and as i said,
it is easy with 30fps and 30m/s but you must admit that it is a bit more complicated for 25fps and 10m/s ;)

Seth maybe i get it wrong what you said . But from what you wrote i think you are a little confused about this.
Say you have 100 frames rendered (100 images) if you make this as a Pal video in an video editor you get 4 second video (25 fps).
With NTSC you get 3.3 second (30 fps) . With movie settings (24 fps) you get 4.16 second video.
If you want a HD video with 60 fps you get 1.66 second video.

Thus say you travel in 100 frames from a river to a mountain . With 100 in hand the speed you get there with 100 frames will vary.
Some will slow some will very fast. In the end you must know in what format your end video will (and fps of course)
and make your decision so that it is has the speed you want accordingly. Lıke an character animator makes decision of the moving parts of an actor accordingly.
More you make animation the more you will get the feeling how much images(frames) you need for a given animation(path) and speed .

Edit: Sometimes the best is to make the keyframe on the beginning of something and the last. Then choose the time to get there .
Say 5 second. Then in which format you want it . Say Pal (25 fps) . So you have to make 125 images to go there in 5 seconds.
If you want the same animation in NTSC (30 fps) you have to render 150 frames to get 5 second video .
Then make the other keyframes accordingly in between , if necessary . 

Cheers.

Kadri.

Seth

i am not confused about it at all and i understood what Oshyan stated ^^
the only thing i said was that when you hit the play button inside TG2, it moves at the speed of 15fps :)
and sorry to say that again but it is not very easy for some specific work (and i am working on an anmation for quite some weeks now as i said earlier).
So, i know i need 25 fps, i know that i need to move my cam x meters/s but you must admit that the preview playing 15fps is not very useful to have a good idea of what the definitive animation will look like :)
plus, if i need a calculator to know how many meters in TG2 i need to move my cam to get a specific distance in 25fps... that is not easy neither ^^
maybe, we could have a little tool to change the speed of the preview... it is really a pain in the ass to render more than 300 frames to check what it look like in 25 fps, believe me on that.

moving from a mountain to a river is not the problem here but just imagine moving from flowers to flowers or tree to tree... slomo or anything like specific camera moves ;)

Kadri

Quote from: Seth on February 15, 2010, 01:11:15 PM
i am not confused about it at all and i understood what Oshyan stated ^^
the only thing i said was that when you hit the play button inside TG2, it moves at the speed of 15fps :)
and sorry to say that again but it is not very easy for some specific work (and i am working on an anmation for quite some weeks now as i said earlier).
So, i know i need 25 fps, i know that i need to move my cam x meters/s but you must admit that the preview playing 15fps is not very useful to have a good idea of what the definitive animation will look like :)
plus, if i need a calculator to know how many meters in TG2 i need to move my cam to get a specific distance in 25fps... that is not easy neither ^^
maybe, we could have a little tool to change the speed of the preview... it is really a pain in the ass to render more than 300 frames to check what it look like in 25 fps, believe me on that.

moving from a mountain to a river is not the problem here but just imagine moving from flowers to flowers or tree to tree... slomo or anything like specific camera moves ;)

OK , now i understand Seth , but maybe it will at least help other really confused ones  :)

I feel your pain Seth . As a temporary solution i would render really small (very small and crude ) images to get the feel of the animation speed .
But i think that is what you use anyway  :) I think Planetside has this in the oven . This has to be in the animation package really .

Cheers.

Kadri.

Seth

yep :) small render of crappy quality for testing ^^ but it would be useful to just watch the preview to have an idea of what your camera moves will look like ;)

Oshyan

So all you're saying is the preview speed in TG2 is 15fps? That may be true, I'm not sure if that's the case or if it just moves as fast as your system can handle. The 15fps you see in Bink (for example) is a Bink setting, nothing to do with TG2.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi Seth,

Looking at the code, it seems that TG2 tries to playback animations at 24 FPS. For various reasons (scene complexity, speed of your machine etc.) it may not achieve that speed.

Regards,

Jo

Kadri

I have the free version ...It would be good if you can make a preview based on some selectable basic quality setting that you can record and play at a choosen FPS like a video .
I don't know how much of these are in there ?

Kadri.

Seth

Quote from: jo on February 15, 2010, 09:57:27 PM
Hi Seth,

Looking at the code, it seems that TG2 tries to playback animations at 24 FPS. For various reasons (scene complexity, speed of your machine etc.) it may not achieve that speed.

Regards,

Jo

okidoki ! thanks Jo ! ^^
very strange, i have a good quad core and the speed doesn't change with complexity of scene....
very very strange information...