New XFrog Library ~ Home Garden PLants

Started by cyphyr, February 17, 2010, 06:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Quote from: FrankB on February 19, 2010, 01:29:15 PM
... were put off by the fact that we differntiate between private and commercial use pricing...

Crazzy, its one of your better marketing choices (um... that sounded patronoising, not meant too;) ) other than the generaly high quality :) (that also sounded  nah you know what I mean, sometimes the keyboard defeats me ::))

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

goldfarb

--
Michael Goldfarb | Senior Technical Director | SideFX | Toronto | Canada

Walli

with Xfrog 4, just ask me ;-)
What do you want to know?
It´s the first time that I used Xfrog 4 for an official library, so this is also the first library that doesn´t ship with xfr files.

FrankB

what's xfrog 4 anyway? Seems it cannot be obtained stand-alone. What's new in xfrog 4 compared to 3.5?
Why are xfrog not updating the stand-alone xfrog 3.5?
I mean, not to speak of that it's GUI looks like Unix in the early 90's and that it cannot be installed on modern OS's without booting into safe mode first...
I really don't understand it.

Frank

Walli

because people asked all the time how nice it would be to have Xfrog inside packags like Maya ad CInema and that is what happened with Xfrog 4. They also have been asking for Linux and when it came noone wanted to buy, because Linux is free...

Xfrog 4 and Xfrog 5 are plugins at this stage and me to hopes that somewehen a standalone will be avaivable. What I like about the standalone is speed and the dedicated interface. Its there to make plants which makes it very fast to use.

The main advantages of Xfrog 4 compared to good old standalone: variation object, better tropism object (and you can use several tropisms), pruning, better handling of mesh/UV

Henry Blewer

I guess it is sort of like Blender. It launches in Windows from a cmd window. They do this to make it easy to port from one system to another.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

FrankB

yeah, but hey,... can't even bring the installer up to par? Come on.
Also, the question is what's so difficult to add the new features to the standalone?
A major GUI overhaul, while howlingly overdue, may take a little longer, i understand that.

Cheers,
Frank

Walli

Xfrog 4 is a complete rewrite and is simply not compatible to Xfrog 3.5. A lot of stuff simply was not possible to add on top anymore, therefor the decision was done to do a complete fresh restart, so that new features really can be implemented. Please don´t forget that Xfrog 3.5 is based on develpment that has been done on SGI computers. The core was old and limiting. So Xfrog 4 is not Xfrog 3.5 plus some features - Xfrog 4 is something new.
The only drawback of Xfrog 4 - and here I fully understand all non Cinema and non Maya users - there is no standalone.

goldfarb

ah....xfrog 4.x

hmmmm.....
as a Houdini user I have to say "BAH!"...but as a Houdini user I also understand.... :)

I guess I'll just have to build my own system in Houdini to make these kinds of things...

thanks.
--

Walli

Quote from: goldfarb on February 22, 2010, 01:49:01 PM
ah....xfrog 4.x
hmmmm.....
as a Houdini user I have to say "BAH!".

sorry, I don´t get this one, could you explain please? Houdini is great, I have dabbled with the apprentice version two years ago. If I would have to buy an additional package to the one I already use (Cinema4D), then this would be Houdini.

cyphyr

I think goldfarb is saying he'd like to see XFrog 4.xx for Houdini :)
Richard
(sorry if I'm wrong tho)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Walli

well, I think at least some of the functionality could be rebuild with Houdini. Houdini is extremly flexible and it is very "compatible" to Xfrog (procedural approach)

goldfarb

yeah...I'd like to see an xfrog plugin for Houdini...
but Houdini can replicate much of the work flow
Houdini has a pretty strong l-system generator that can have inputs for leaves etc...and you can prune with metaball volumes etc...

--