Firefox and Vista

Started by dhavalmistry, March 07, 2007, 10:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhavalmistry

I personally dont like IE (specially IE7) so I downloaded Firefix 2 on my vista system and for some reason its giving me an error. First of all it wont install, it gave me an error about some file could not be read and after couple of tries I managed to install and everytime I try to start firefox it gives me an error saying previous install hasnt been completed, completing the first installation

I was wondering if anybody else using vista on the forum has come across this problem and know how to fix it.

Another request to mods (or who ever designed this website):

In firefox, when you click on the image uploaded by someone it expands the forum/topic by however big the image is and

in IE7 when I click on the uploaded image, it opens in same window but the size isnt bigger than that of the preview, I have to right click on the image and go "open in new tab" to see its original size

I dont know if this is vista/IE7 problem or that this website isnt optimized for IE

eitherway a solution would be appreciated.
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

duff

One solution is XP and Firefox ;)

Out of interest how are you finding Vista....
Does it use more resources than XP?
Does it have any useful functionality above and beyond XP?
Also do you have a version with the funky UI? If so Is it actually useful.

I am thinking of getting a new PC and it looks like I might have to get Vista for it as I want to keep my current PC and therefore it's XP license.

Will

Duff, I've heard that some are getting more resource useage and some get less but on average many open sourse programs don't install and arnt supported. I've heard things about Firefox and about open office. So I'm wait a year or so until I consiter upgrading since it seems to be having a lot of combatiblity problums.

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

MeltingIce

Thats weird, Firefox worked fine in Vista for me last time I tried.  Perhaps there is a problem with the newest Firefox update.

MeltingIce Network | Wii Number: 3881 9574 8304 0277

dhavalmistry

Quote from: duff on March 08, 2007, 06:01:49 AM
One solution is XP and Firefox ;)

Out of interest how are you finding Vista....
Does it use more resources than XP?
Does it have any useful functionality above and beyond XP?
Also do you have a version with the funky UI? If so Is it actually useful.

I am thinking of getting a new PC and it looks like I might have to get Vista for it as I want to keep my current PC and therefore it's XP license.

I have Vista Ultimate and I only had it for less than a week but so far I can say its better than xp

It doesnt use more resources than XP and applications seems to run/open faster than xp

the startup and shutdown times are much better than XP (35-40 secs give or take)

All the important information is displayed up front for you for example if you go into my computer, the size of the drives and amount of space used in the drives are displayed along the drive names so you dont have to go right clicking on the drives.

I also like the security of the system. I downloaded a visual theme from deviant art and wanted to give it a try but it was giving me hard time renaming/backing up a system file since I have to replace the file called uxtheme.dll to use "non-microsoft" themes.

Aero style UI is just for the show, it has glow and animation and shadows to windows and buttons. A good feature of Aero is the 3d display of all the windows that are open and you can scroll through them (just like alt-tab)

Best part is networking. I have secured wireless internet and anyone on my network can share files and printers without any hassle like in xp.

I dont know how games look like on Vista yet. I tried installing Supreme Commander and for some reason it gave me problems. I hope they get better when DX10 comes out. The video and audio quality are a bit better than xp

Now if only firefox would work on vista  :(

Dark Fire

I don't like FFx2 - it's too slow to load and unstable compared to IE7. FFx1.5 was much better than IE6, but I think that Microsoft have finally taken the develoment of IE seriously again with IE7...

Will

its all comes down to persenal prefrence now, I'm staying with firefox becuase I'm more use to it but I have IE7 becuase sometimes flash doesn't work properly.

Regards,
Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Dark Fire on March 08, 2007, 02:37:47 PM
I don't like FFx2 - it's too slow to load and unstable compared to IE7. FFx1.5 was much better than IE6, but I think that Microsoft have finally taken the develoment of IE seriously again with IE7...

yes I like 1.5 better than version 2 but 1.5 doesnt work for vista either

king_tiger_666

maybe you should see some threads on http://www.mozillazine.org/ forums. see if this is a known problem with firefox
<a href="www.hobbies.nzaus.co.nz/">My  Terragen Downloads & Gallery</a>