Cumulus Fractus

Started by dandelO, March 12, 2010, 10:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

A link to the cloud library. New post containing my cumulus fractus clouds.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3691.msg97563#msg97563

Cheers! :)

dandelO

'Intersect underlying' of the wisp dominance layer can give some wild results, these are default settings and default IU...

[attachimg=#]

aymenk2003

thanks dandelO...
Interesting cumulus clouds
Le peu que je sais, c'est à mon ignorance que je le dois.

Dune

Thanks Dandel0, this opened my sleepy eyes to something that eluded me in clouds.

dandelO

[attachimg=#]

dandelO

Some lower quality examples:

With minimum wisp Y altitude constraints.

[attachimg=#]

With the same Y altitude constraints and intersect underlying.

[attachimg=#]

Henry Blewer

I like the 2nd image of the last post best. They look quite good.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

dandelO

cheers, Henry. :)

Here's that one with the raytracer at higher quality. A little less wispiness, too.

[attachimg=#]

This setting differences from the original clip file are;

Cloud layer:
Altitude/Depth = 2000/1000
Density = 0.01
Colours = 0.75/1
Optimum acceleration cache enabled

Wisp Dominance:
Coverage = 0.25
Min' Alt' Constraints = 1550/100
Intersect underlying = Depressions, 1000/20/0

CCC

Here is my take but after 17 hours i had to stop.

dandelO

Looks like some bad GI issues happening in your render there. Weird, haven't seen anything like that for ages in Terragen.

17 hours is an awfully long time, as well. Have you upped the quality settings significantly? What are your computer spec's? I am only using a 2ghz dual core here and the post above yours rendered in about 30-odd minutes. The cloud 'acceleration cache' has been enabled for that one which makes it much quicker but still, I think I could safely say that even with no acceleration it would have taken maybe only 2-3 times as long.

You do have a very thick atmosphere that I would blame for the time increase, if it had lots of samples but, it still appears quite grainy so, I've no idea why it would be taking so long. ???

The red sky sunset example above took about 5 hours with no acceleration, that's pretty long in my book for such a render.

CCC

I used a GI light with a quality of 1 for the terrain and one for the atmosphere but i rendered without using the main GI settings in the render tab. AA was 4. Quality was 0.9. Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz. Clouds were at 1 for quality. Atmosphere was 32 samples.

choronr

Thanks dandelO, got one cooking with these beauties; and, a try of adding some of your 10m cracks ...looking good so far. Thank you for all you do here young fella - otherwise, I'd still be finger painting.

dandelO

Cheers, Bob. Best of luck! :)

It's a long time since someone's called me young fella! :D

choronr

Quote from: dandelO on March 18, 2010, 03:37:36 PM
Cheers, Bob. Best of luck! :)

It's a long time since someone's called me young fella! :D
Well, since I'm older than dirt, it would be a treasure of a comment if someone would address me this way.

dandelO

Don't worry, I'll treasure it, indeed!

May you do the same with this one, young man! :)