Wind speedtree ?

Started by bla bla 2, August 24, 2014, 06:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bla bla 2

Hello,
I search add of wind effect in export speedtree 6.
But the, in terragen 3 in export, this function not good. In format FBX.
Why ? What are the good method ?

Please, thank you.  :)

TheBadger

IF you want to render wind on your trees in TG, then you will have to find a way to export your animated trees from SP to TG as a "object sequence".
But first you would want to import your TG terrain to SP (if that is possible?)... So that you can populate your trees on your TG terrain (unless your terrain is flat).

What you want to do is going to be hard because of the number of softwares, the import export limitations in all soft, and  you need to find some help in french.

But there are a few Speed tree users here. They would know best. Hope they can help.
It has been eaten.

bla bla 2

Tu aurais un site pour cet demande ?

You have a site for this application ?

zaxxon

Hey Bastian! Sadly TG does not support the output formats from Speedtree for wind animation at this time. The Speedtree wind utility creates an animated sequence based on 'forces' applied to the major mesh elements such as trunks, branches, leaves, each with controllable movement parameters appropriate to the different structural types (trunks bend less, branches bend more, etc). All of these elements are controlled by not only wind strength, but also allow for the effects of 'gusting' ( wind speed variations with pauses). All of this information is captured in the 'motion data' that the FBX format contains, but once again TG's FBX data set is still rather limited  :(.  Another export option, and one that is supported by many 3D apps (Vue, Maya, Modo, etc) is the MDD format (Motion Designer Document). Here's a link to a solution to take Speedtree FBX wind animation files via MDD into Vue (which also at this time does not support a full FBX data set)  http://vimeo.com/82526368   Be nice if TG implemented MDD support; that's been discussed on this Forum for for a number of years now, maybe someday...

If you have 3DSMax you might try the Speedtree Mesh Utility: http://docs.speedtree.com/doku.php?id=speedtree_mesh_utilities_for_3ds_max. You could possibly export a series of modified tree positions as morph targets and export the series as a mesh sequence to TG. Sounds brutal to me however. If you find a workable solution please let me know.

bobbystahr

Interesting video....if TG ever gets MDD we may have a game on
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I think if you want to make stills with windbent trees, all you have to do is use a magnet or direction and export those trees. Keep their rotation within 50 degrees or so in TG.

bla bla 2

Hi, and for cinema4d ? :-X

gregtee

What we really want in Terragen to do this kind of work is the implementation and adoption of Alembic geo caches.   They're industry standard at this point, are lightweight, and will give everyone what they're looking for.  I know Matt is familiar with them.

Supervisor, Computer Graphics
D I G I T A L  D O M A I N

zaxxon

Alembic would be fine by me! Maybe you could give Matt a little 'nudge' in the coffee room?

TheBadger

I think he is saying that its on its way. But they won't really tell us until the release so that we won't start yelling about it (however long that will be)  ;D Bunch of little nuggets in the forum lately... So much to get my attention!
I really understand why they keep everything quiet. But a little official insight can really help keep the energy up...

I mean, it can get quite boring and frustrating sitting in front of a computer all the time. Rumors do entertain and are fun. But a bit more from staff can give something nice to look forward to.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of the industry you work in, or want to work in.  :) helps keep things fun.
It has been eaten.

Oshyan

Official info is we'd like to implement Alembic and/or FBX model import with animation, but it's not something we have a specific target date for at this time. We haven't discussed MDD, seems like it's more of a legacy solution these days, yeah? On the bright side I suspect it may be possible for an SDK plugin author to implement Alembic sooner if desired, though I am not certain that's currently supported by the SDK functions.

Basically the next big news that's going to come from us is 3.2 (not including Alembic/FBX :P) and/or SDK-related.

- Oshyan

JimB

MDD is a painless, no nonsense solution for importing and exporting shape animation. I'm using it on my current job for adding filler actors into a large matte painting and find it more reliable than FBX and Collada, which often have their individual "quirks" depending on the software you're exchanging between. Why turn a glider into a helicopter when a chopper has more moving parts to fail?  ;) MDD's like a fail safe fallback option. Handy for compatability with Marvelous Designer, too. I did suggest MDD import years ago.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

bla bla 2

Je n'ai pas 3dsmax, c'est trop cher.

I do not have 3dsmax. it's too expensive

bla bla 2

Je vois ce plugin 'Alambic »dans le cinéma 4D, est-ce bien le même plug-in de 3dsmax?
Pour importation dans terragen?

I see what plugin 'Alembic' in cinema 4d, is this well the even plugin of 3dsmax ?
For import in terragen ?