PS cs6 Bug of death

Started by TheBadger, January 08, 2016, 10:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Quote from: inkydigit on January 11, 2016, 03:09:35 PM
Have you updated your nvidia driver?
I had to do mine today; substance designer was crashing which was what caused me to check my gc driver  .... Turns out that SD had some bug fixes that fixed the instacrash also.
:)

I did upgrade the GPU unit from stock to ATI Radeon HD 5870, But I never went beyond that.
I was under the impression that those drivers were upgraded with the system upgrades from the app store.
Do you have a link I can read? I was really believing that this task was automated in this case.
I don't believe that I can use nvidia. At the time I upgraded, there was only one reliable option for upgrade that did not come with a ton of problems. I have recently seen a better option, but I am not sure how much I want to upgrade a tower from 2009. this was the the newest option that I saw ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/ ) But I haven't looked into how well it works on my system yet anyway.

I do though have it on my mind, do to the just a bit too low Frame rate I get with VR. But I don't know if I should just upgrade my entire tower...and also the cost thing. 2009 is a long time ago in tech.

It has been eaten.

TheBadger

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 11, 2016, 03:18:20 PM
Again, did you buy all the memory paired? You can't just have 16gb of RAM and decide to upgrade to 32gb by buying the difference. Even from the same manufacturer. They often use different chips from quarter to quarter in a season of production. Not to mention timings and infrastructure sets can vary slightly, or a lot. Which is why you only see ram kits from retailers, because that kit should replace your existing RAM.

My memory is proper, was. Thats not the cause of any of these issues.

It is a bug, as I said, adobe confirmed. Hitting my ceiling appears to be as was discussed here. Just too many apps with too much going on at the same time. But that is not what happened here, it is a confirmed bug.
I have a pretty decent system, the problem with that is I tend to just keep pushing it without thinking too much about it. SO running MUD maya TG and PS for example, at the same time.

The only problems with my graphics card that I have ever had is with sculpting and TG and VR. Since I upgraded to a GPU with more power I have no real issues with GPU based soft. But TG can sometimes, for some reason, cause "crazy screen"( There is a thread on it here). And there is nothing I can do about my frame rates in VR except upgrade the GPU again or buy a new tower.
It has been eaten.

TheBadger

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/wont_save_file_due_to_program_error

It won't be fixed. And since it happens on win too (so not apple issue), going back to 2006 there is no hope of it getting fixed.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: inkydigit on January 11, 2016, 07:04:44 AM
Have you tried affinity? https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/
Getting better all he time.... Cheaper than C$ xxx :)
I only have cs3 running on el cap.... But use it only when I need a specific filter(s) that affinity does not have yet...

looks really nice but **mac only** and my mac is too old(pre intel)likely to run it...sigh was hoping to escape adobe's evil clutches...and Gimp just doesn't cut it.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

The problem that Badger describes never happened on CS3 with me. I used it on MAC and PC and it was always stable. Unless u need a special feature from CS5 or 6 why not use CS3? Should be cheap especially 2nd hand... dunno just an idea...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

inkydigit

Quote from: TheBadger on January 12, 2016, 07:13:22 AM
Quote from: inkydigit on January 11, 2016, 03:09:35 PM
Have you updated your nvidia driver?
I had to do mine today; substance designer was crashing which was what caused me to check my gc driver  .... Turns out that SD had some bug fixes that fixed the instacrash also.

I did upgrade the GPU unit from stock to ATI Radeon HD 5870, But I never went beyond that.
I was under the impression that those drivers were upgraded with the system upgrades from the app store.
Do you have a link I can read? I was really believing that this task was automated in this case.
I don't believe that I can use nvidia. At the time I upgraded, there was only one reliable option for upgrade that did not come with a ton of problems. I have recently seen a better option, but I am not sure how much I want to upgrade a tower from 2009. this was the the newest option that I saw ( http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sapphire/100352MAC/ ) But I haven't looked into how well it works on my system yet anyway.

I do though have it on my mind, do to the just a bit too low Frame rate I get with VR. But I don't know if I should just upgrade my entire tower...and also the cost thing. 2009 is a long time ago in tech.
I checked my 2007 24" - no options to update that driver.... Though new 27" has this option in system prefs. https://goo.gl/MMsWjg
Just for info, cs3 ran perfectly well on the older Mac too, not sure affinity would, as not enough ram...
Not much help I am afraid...
J

TheBadger

I have cs3 and cs6 suits. CS3 will not run anymore on the newer os or at least it stopped for yosem, I haven't tried cs3 on el capitan.

Gona look at the mac soft, and there are some other options as well. You can beat the hell out of PS if you have enough soft and plugins. Nice thing about PS though is that it is totally ubiquitous. And I already know it, and what I don't know there are plenty of tuts that are easy to find.

But yeah, basically sc3 worked perfect for me too. Only there are some tools in the newer PS versions that are not in the older, and those tools are pretty nice. Lost some of my favorite filters in sc6 though... lol yeah..

Yeah, bobby, would be nice to get rid of adobe if there is a less annoying company to go with  :D

It has been eaten.

WAS

Quote from: TheBadger on January 12, 2016, 07:28:10 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on January 11, 2016, 03:18:20 PM
Again, did you buy all the memory paired? You can't just have 16gb of RAM and decide to upgrade to 32gb by buying the difference. Even from the same manufacturer. They often use different chips from quarter to quarter in a season of production. Not to mention timings and infrastructure sets can vary slightly, or a lot. Which is why you only see ram kits from retailers, because that kit should replace your existing RAM.

My memory is proper, was. Thats not the cause of any of these issues.

It is a bug, as I said, adobe confirmed. Hitting my ceiling appears to be as was discussed here. Just too many apps with too much going on at the same time. But that is not what happened here, it is a confirmed bug.
I have a pretty decent system, the problem with that is I tend to just keep pushing it without thinking too much about it. SO running MUD maya TG and PS for example, at the same time.

The only problems with my graphics card that I have ever had is with sculpting and TG and VR. Since I upgraded to a GPU with more power I have no real issues with GPU based soft. But TG can sometimes, for some reason, cause "crazy screen"( There is a thread on it here). And there is nothing I can do about my frame rates in VR except upgrade the GPU again or buy a new tower.

I have 3.5 GB usable memory and run all those programs plus many more including a dedicated web server. No issues. I am leaning towards the fact this is a memory fault issue with R/W access to your RAM. Once you minimize a program using RAM, it dumps most to to the VRAM. So only what is on screen should be taking substantial RAM. Even Terragen when minimized, it's populations freezing my computer will no longer be a issue because it's pushed to VRAM (which is set to 128GB). By default Photoshop uses 70% of RAM on screen, which is why Photoshop should be in full screen (maximized) and everything else minimized to preserve RAM with VRAM.

You can choose not to believe me but anything having to do with saving is utilizing the RAM for it's temporary buffer. If Adobe has not given you a solution, it hasn't been discovered. And again, could be people using unpaired RAM that wasn't bought as a package. This is common with custom built computers that aren't from brand name distributors.

If you cannot save anything, in any format, it is a issue with either RAM, Scratch, or VRAM.

Another thing Adobe suggests before using CS5+ is to increase Virtual RAM from default to something above 8GB too. This has been updated to cover CC now but is still relevant to most of CS5+ settings. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

GPU is completely separate from saving... if something is on screen in the canvas, and you haven't received a message about Photoshop using software, the GPU is working fine, and what is on screen is now in scratch/ram.