Refraction

Started by Tangled-Universe, August 04, 2010, 04:13:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Long time ago I have touched TG2.
Thought it would be nice to do something a bit different :)
Maybe I'll improve this a bit further, but I'm quite happy with it now.

Rendertime was ~4 hours @ 1920x960.
No GI, since that doesn't work at all when having shadows underwater.
Detail was 2 and AA6.

Cheers,
Martin

FrankB

Looking super cool, very realistic. I would like to sit there right now and let my feet hang into the stream :-)

Sure about the GI shadows underwater? Wouldn't unchecking "visible to other rays" in the lake object help?

Cheers,
Frank

Jack

ohhh lovely makes me thirsty looking at it haha

i really like the fractals on the water surface and your textures are superb as always ;)
My terragen gallery:
http://wetbanana.deviantart.com/

Henry Blewer

I wonder if using soft shadows would make this just that much better? Other than that, awesome.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

RArcher

Really nice.  The sand ripples were a great touch.

schmeerlap

Excellent quality.
Very impressive displacement on those rocks. Did you use the Terragen Rock Object as a base?

John
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

old_blaggard

Great detail in the textures of the rocks. What quality setting did you have to render at to remove the pixellation from the water?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Seth

wow !
awesome Martin !
lovely rock's texture !

Tangled-Universe

Thanks guys :)

Quote from: old_blaggard on August 04, 2010, 06:47:15 pm
Great detail in the textures of the rocks. What quality setting did you have to render at to remove the pixellation from the water?


This was rendered at detail 2. Effectively this should result in detail 1 beneath the water surface.

Quote from: schmeerlap on August 04, 2010, 05:35:05 pm
Excellent quality.
Very impressive displacement on those rocks. Did you use the Terragen Rock Object as a base?

John


No I did not use the Rock Object...this is all fake stone work. 4 layers to be precise.

Quote from: RArcher on August 04, 2010, 04:56:37 pm
Really nice.  The sand ripples were a great touch.


For the sake of rendertime I had to step aside from one of my strong principle: to do everything procedural. My own sand-ripple shader took ages to render in this setup, so therefore I used an image-map *shame*

Quote from: njeneb on August 04, 2010, 04:38:01 pm
I wonder if using soft shadows would make this just that much better? Other than that, awesome.


The default soft-shadow diameter of 0.5 degrees is not noticeable. I attached another render which uses soft shadows at 1 degrees with 11 samples.
As you can see, still not very noticeably better. I also added GI to this image for Frank, so it's not an entirely nice picture to compare, but you should be able to see it.

Quote from: FrankB on August 04, 2010, 04:21:04 pm
Looking super cool, very realistic. I would like to sit there right now and let my feet hang into the stream :-)

Sure about the GI shadows underwater? Wouldn't unchecking "visible to other rays" in the lake object help?

Cheers,
Frank


Yes absolutely sure. I did quite some tests and I have seen it working just once or twice. Probably pure luck with the "GI-seed". I could dig in my temp files to see if I can find that render. It shows very nice artefacts: clear shadows cast from stones above the water, but black shadow cast from the stones which are already under the watersurface.

I rendered this image with GI 1/3. Render detail was 2 so effectively it should be GI 2/6. I also added softshadows for Henry.
The bottom left buckets took insanely long to render. More than 1,5 hour of the near 9 hours total rendertime. So I aborted it, because I became too impatient.

Dune

Very, very nice Martin. As always.

Henry Blewer

Maybe you should borrow my Pentium 4 HT. ;D    I would be happy with a 9 hour render.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Hannes


Tangled-Universe

Thanks Ulco and Hannes :)

Quote from: njeneb on August 05, 2010, 06:18:35 am
Maybe you should borrow my Pentium 4 HT. ;D    I would be happy with a 9 hour render.


Ghehe, well normally I'm very patient with renders. 9 hours for a final render is what I'm used to, even much longer.
However, I'm not very patient when it seems that <10% of the surface-area takes >25% of the total rendertime ;D

domdib

Excellent work - image shader or not, the sand ripples are the icing on the cake.

inkydigit

very nice, Martin, I echo the above....now some fishes?